Financial Service Specialist I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Salary range is between $45,000-$50,000; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Financial Services Specialist
The George Mason University Volgenau School of Engineering (VSE) is seeking a highly detail-oriented individual to fill the position of Financial Services Specialist in the Deanâ€™s Office. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Director of Sponsored Research Administration in the Volgenau School of Engineering, this position is responsible for the post-award activities of reconciliation, compliance, and assistance to management and faculty members in support of research administration. Duties will include but not be limited to the following:
- Post-award reconciliations:
- Using the MicroStrategy report system, downloads principal investigator (PI) reports and reconciles personnel charges on grants and contracts for the PIs in eight departments;
- Assists with the verification and backup required for other direct expenses on research grants and contracts;
- Tracks and monitors return/acknowledgement of reconciliation reports and notifies supervisor, regularly, of reports that are not returned;
- Responds to post-audit review questions from Office of Sponsored Programs;
- Communicates with faculty and immediate supervisor when charges are questionable;
- Processes paperwork to remove any charges that are unallowable or need to be reclassified to a correct account code;
- Assists with other post award duties, which may include submission and oversight of participant support requests or other payment requests, and any other post award duties, as needed;
- Supports the processing and reconciliation of George Mason University Foundation accounts and may assist with Education and General (E and G) reconciliation; and
- Occasionally, may need to backup Deanâ€™s Office Manager in the front office, to include assisting visitors with questions or assigning conference rooms, and key requests.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree (preferably in accounting or business), or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Self-starter who is organized and detail-oriented with strong communication skills and experience working with a diverse group of individuals;
- Demonstrated experience working in a research setting at a university or nonprofit environment; and
- Experienced with Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and Word, and e-mail systems.
- Experience with post-award grants and contracts at a state or private university setting;
- Experience with MicroStrategy reporting systems and/or Ellucian Banner Oracle systems; and
- Knowledge of OMB Uniformed Guidance regulations and major federal funding sources (NSF, NIH, DOD).
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02512z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :