Medical Officer -Direct Hire
This position is located in the Food and Drug Administration.
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position may be subject to strict prohibited financial interest regulations for the employee, the spouse, and minor children of the employee. The applicant may be required to contact the FDA Ethics and Integrity Staff to discuss these regulations and file a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 450) which this position may have, and/or limit the ability of the employee to perform certain official functions. Until the FDA Ethics and Integrity staff clears the selectee for this position, a final offer letter may not be granted.
These vacancies will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. Some positions may be filled as Permanent, Temporary, or Term Appointments. Some positions may be filled as Medical Officers or Lead Medical Officers.
Cut Off dates are Friday, June 30, 2017, Monday, July 31, 2017, Thursday, August 31, 2017. Applications received after the cut-off dates will receive consideration through the closing date.
This position may be subject to peer review.
This announcement is being used to create an inventory of qualified applicants for Medical Officer positions and will be used to fill immediate and future vacancies.
Although this vacancy announcement is advertised for multiple duty locations, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all locations.
Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority.
- Not Required
In order to qualify for Medical Officer-GP-0602-14 you must meet the following:
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): All Physicians must meet the following basic requirements:
DEGREE: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accredited body in the year of the applicant's graduation OR a Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States. (Such equivalency is demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, the candidate must also meet the following:
RESIDENCY TRAINING: Four years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
Note: A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
GRADUATE TRAINING SUBSEQUENT TO DEGREE: 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., 1 year internship or the first year of a residency program. This graduate training must be approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the U.S. or Canada.
MEDICAL LICENSURE REQUIREMENT: You must have an active (unexpired) medical license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Medical licensure is required for an individual who will be compensated under the Title 38 Physician and Dentist Pay and for who performs services incident to or directly involving patient care. You must retain your license while employed with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This licensure requirement is in accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402, OPM Delegation Agreement with HHS, and HHS policy on T38 PDP.
Copy of medical licensure must be submitted with application under this Direct Hire Bulletin.
Note: Within Federal clinical and training programs, a distinction is made between general practice and specialist positions. Specialist positions require graduate training and experience related to the specialty and subspecialty of the position to be filled. Experience may not be substituted for training essential for performing specialized duties. The length and content of residency programs depends upon the specialization and requirements of recognized accrediting American medical specialty boards.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: NO
- Drug testing required: NO
- License required: YES (Active Unrestricted Medical License)
- Mobility agreement required: NO
- Immunization required: NO
- Bargaining Unit Position: NO
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 08/31/2017.
Q - Nonsensitive