Travel Associate - Travel Office
**Customer Service experience, Microsoft Excel experience, experience at a nonprofit/organization that dealt with Federal Travel Regulations preferred but not mandatory.**
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is responsible for all financial aspects of The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS), including Accounting, Budget, Contracts and Grants Accounting, Contracts and Grants Management, Procurement, Travel, and Financial Analysis and Reporting.
Provides administrative and support services, including projects, to the Travel Office, NAS staff, and travelers. Answers customer inquiries and resolves problems. Prepares reports, statistics, and maintains records.
Under general supervision, the primary function is the performance of clerical and administrative tasks requiring the consideration of multiple variables to determine proper course of action. Uses pre-determined guidelines to assist in decision-making. Performs tasks utilizing a range of business office software and travel-related systems. Work requires continuous use of detailed knowledge of organizational operations, procedures, and staff. May assist in establishing processes/procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of routine support functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Performs office tasks, including responding to customer service issues both internally and externally. Serves as the primary and initial point of contact for the Travel Office. Answers Travel Office phone. Responds to Travel Office inbox questions/requests.
2. Administers and updates Travel Code Database, the internal travel authorization mechanism of NAS. This includes adding/deleting new travelers and amending other travel meeting details. Assigns expense delegates in Concur. Resets passwords. Maintains restitution database.
3. Reviews and approves travel requests via the NAS Online Booking Tool. Ensures a better travel booking experience by educating booker on issues such as how to choose lowest fare, making sure they have a waiver for an out of policy vehicle, and how to add comments when unrestricted funds, etc.
4. Works with travel vendors. Maintains database of contacts. Sends promotional info out to travel contacts. Prepares and sends hotel credit card authorization forms for non-preferred hotels.
5. Reviews and signs Travel Waivers (Premium, Car, FAA, and Hotel) in accordance with NAS travel policies.
6. Reviews and processes travel expense reports timely and in accordance with NAS travel policies.
7. Maintains and updates Unused Ticket Report. Tracks status. Sends reminders to staff to utilize ticket funds before expiration.
8. Hosts ‘Meet the Vendors’ for the Travel Management Companies (TMC’s). This is a chance for NAS staff to meet the people who manage our travel program.
9. Advises staff of Federal Travel Regulations applicable to area of work, institutional policies and procedures affecting the nature of Academies work. Ensures staff is educated in accordance with these policies and procedures.
10. Researches and compiles information and prepares reports for special projects.
11. Assists with updating and maintaining content on the Travel Office’s web and intranet pages.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Excellent customer service skills. Positive, polite and approachable with attention to detail. Effective verbal and written communication skills and must be comfortable communicating with customers by email and phone. Ability to navigate Excel at an intermediate level. Ability to prioritize work and the flexibility to change directions as the job dictates. Ability to solve problems using selection and application of extensive procedures, precedents, and rules. Ability to operate with some latitude for independent judgment and action. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to develop relationships with co-workers and employees in other National Academies’ departments through effective communication. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees. Direct knowledge of Federal Travel Regulations is a plus.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.