Director, Strategic Communications
This opportunity can be based out of Chicago or Washington D.C.
SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for a Director of Strategic Communications to join the Business and Trade team in either our Washington D.C. or Chicago office. The Director of Strategic Communications will be responsible for the strategic planning, execution and reporting of the Advancing Lead Batteries Communications initiative and other initiatives in support of the lead battery industry. The Director will manage the work of a public affairs agency, and working in conjunction with them, develop and execute the Advancing Lead Batteries Communication Initiative to enhance the perceptions of the industry so that policymakers recognize the importance of lead batteries in our everyday lives and the responsible use of lead in manufacturing lead batteries.
What You Will Do
- Strategically drive and manage all aspects of the Advancing Lead Batteries Communication Initiative, which is designed to build a more favorable and enabling environment for the lead battery industry
- Develop, manage and execute effective messaging, collateral, processes and strategies in support of the initiative, as well as BCI's overall business plan
- Oversee the development of marketing collateral to be used across all mediums, including print, web, email, video, and social media to help deliver the messages on the identified channels
- Manage agency and vendor resources, including media and public relations firm, designers, writers, printers and other vendors to support marketing and communications functions
- Manage the work of the Advancing Lead Batteries Communication Initiative Advisory Group, comprised of BCI and International Lead Association member company representatives, including organizing meetings and conference calls as necessary to keep all members engaged as valued advisers.
- Monitor campaign deliverables to ensure targets and objectives are met in a timely manner and within the proposed budget parameters
- Measure and report on the performance of all program activities, assessing against goals (ROI and KPIs) and providing strategic recommendations for optimization
- Work with BCI regulatory counsel to help craft key messaging for use with federal and state policymakers.
- Provide regular updates to the Communications Initiative Committee, organizing meetings and conference calls as necessary to keep all members informed of progress and discuss program updates
- Serve as primary contact for American media inquiries and coordinate responses as necessary
- Serve as the program liaison with member companies, providing regular updates, soliciting their involvement as needed, answering questions and ensuring their continued support of the program
- Manages other communication and marketing projects as assigned by the BCI Executive Vice President.
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You have a tenacity to follow through on complex tasks, ensuring communication flow between multiple stakeholders, facilitating meetings and driving outcomes
- You are a clear, effective written and verbal communication style
- You have strong presentations and interpersonal skills
- Your background and expertise is in media relations management and spokesperson skills
- You have sound judgment on opportunities and risks
- Strong organizational skills and an enthusiastic attitude to teamwork
- Competence in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel and digital media
- Willingness to travel internationally
- 7+ years managing multi-disciplined marketing and communications efforts, either in-house or for a public affairs firm, federal/state agency, trade association, corporation, media outlet or on Capitol Hill.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and skill in conflict resolution, creativity/innovation, decision making, group presentations, group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, team collaboration, project management and written communication
- Effective multi-tasker, with ability to manage stakeholders, projects, prioritization and decision making
- Strong attention to detail
- Some experience in the metals industry, battery industry or automotive industry or other manufacturing industry would be preferred
- Demonstrated working relationship with media representatives also preferred
- BA/BS degree in Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people - regardless of position or compensation - an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.