Senior Principal Services Design Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 16717.Network Architecture and Infrastructure
Travel %: Less than 10%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 7 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for evolving the customer experience by establishing globalized connectivity without boundaries. By reaching beyond the satellite industry to leverage the broader communications landscape, our vision will define the performance and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
As a leading contributor, this position will perform services design requirement analysis, development of product-specific architectures, lab testing and evaluation, prototype demonstration, and technical documentation across Network Engineering. You will provide technical expertise in a 24x7 environment that designs network connectivity, in order to ensure the reliable performance of globally delivered customer solutions. You will drive best practice development by providing consistent design methodology and modeling for asset management, provisioning standards, fault management analysis, utilization and performance monitoring, and security requirements. In conjunction with design development, this role will interact with Intelsat upstream and downstream teams to define detailed Statement of Work (SOW) documentation. We are looking for a strategic expert that is familiar with the integration of existing and emerging technology trends, and can provide advanced technical leadership for continued growth, while supporting the Development Engineering team. In collaboration with other senior SME's, this position will mentor junior team members and assist in the creation of a training environment for the Deployment and Operations teams. In addition, you will provide level 4 services support to the Operations team.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Provide guidance on all existing and proposed architecture to ensure that the design supports strong performance and that proper monitoring/analytic tools are in place.
- Ensure that all designs apply consistent methodology with best practices, in order to deliver stable and secure networks.
- Perform engineering calculation related to design that requires the application of standard engineering principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
- Identify emerging markets and trends, and provide solutions for integration approach.
- Provide SME (Subject Matter Expert) support for service feasibility.
- Collaborate extensively with Deployment Engineers and the Development Engineering Team.
- Create detailed scope requirements for the Statement of Work (SOW) process, ensuring that final documentation is clear and accurate to ensure the greatest work efficiency.
- Collaborate with Project Managers to ensure the success of the design detailed in the SOW, including communication regarding technical scope, schedule, budget, and resource needs.
- Work closely with Finance, Engineering, and other applicable departments to ensure the profitability of all designs.
- Practice and enforce compliance with current operating standards, to best assess effectiveness and process alignment.
- Provide proactive leadership to mentor and coach all team members.
- Enhance training materials and deliver ongoing training to Operations team members.
- Represent the department at all times, as a technical SME.
- Provide recommendations on industry best practice and network efficiency.
- Document and comply with recordkeeping procedure.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar discipline. At least seven years of network experience, with ten years preferred (or an equivalent amount of education and work experience).
- PMI/PMP certification, a plus.
- Must have subject matter expertise in at least one of the following design disciplines: Media transport or OTT Video delivery.
- Comprehensive knowledge in networking, data communications, and systems engineering (IP, Video/Media transport).
- Must have excellent organizational and database skills, with the ability to coordinate between multiple systems.
- Ability to analyze complex situations and utilize creative problem solving abilities, under pressure.
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical and communication skills
- Strong ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers are required.
- Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Exposure to emerging technologies in Virtualization, SDN and NFV are a plus.
- Scripting/coding skills are highly desirable.
- Experience with building, testing and installing equipment and cabling associated with IP, Video and RF equipment in a Lab and/or production environment.
- Must have exposure to IP routing protocols, including but not limited to: BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP-1/2 and ISIS.
- Must have experience working with MPEG-2 and MPEG-4(H.264) and potentially HEVC (H.265) compression formats and Transport streams.
- Must be familiar with Video and Video transport protocols, including but not limited to SMPTE 259, 292, 424 2022-1, 2022-2, 2022-7 and TR101-290.
- Must be familiar with Encryption technologies used in MCPC platforms.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.