Director of Transportation
The Director II - Transportation ensures the Transportation Department goals are met and services are provided in an efficient and effective manner. The Director assures that staff utilizes appropriate procedures and safe practices by providing overall coverage of the Transportation Services Department, and guarantees optimal utilization of personnel and other resources. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Education: Bachelors' degree with emphasis on transportation management, organizational planning and/or logistical management required. A combination of experience and education, as deemed appropriate by the selecting officials may be substituted.
- Certificates & Licenses: CDL- Passenger.
- Experience: Job related experience within a specialized field with increasing levels of responsibility is required, with an emphasis on staff management and logistical services. Strong background in public school transportation programs preferred.
- Key Competencies:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the administration and management of transportation (school preferred), financial administration, budgets, resource allocation, human resources management and procurement systems. Knowledge of State and Federal regulations governing such systems.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with computerized routing, fleet management; vehicle service procedures and parts inventory practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work harmoniously and communicate effectively with school personnel, parents, government agencies, transportation professionals, and members of the community.
- Ability to evaluate, coordinate and implement multiple projects (tasks) simultaneously on a daily basis, to evaluate staff and implement staff development; define problems and apply problem solving techniques to complex issues; to develop policies and procedures; to communicate efficiently and effectively verbally and in writing; to effectively work within a political climate to communicate and present information; to develop, support and administer budget in a fiscally sound and responsible manner.
- Coordinates student transportation activities with school officials, department heads, and other interested groups or individuals to ensure that division transportation needs are met.
- Develops long and short range transportation plans/programs (e.g. buses, emergency response plans, boundary changes, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that the division's resources are effectively utilized.
- Prepares bus schedules and work assignments for school bus drivers, bus monitors and other transportation department personnel.
- Performs personnel functions (e.g. interviewing, evaluating, and supervising) for the purpose of maintaining adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel, and achieving objectives within budget.
- Provides job related training opportunities for drivers, bus aides, and mechanics for the purpose of ensuring job success and compliance with legal mandates.
- Conducts accident investigations (e.g. reviews events, prepares and submits accident reports, etc.) for the purpose of complying with legal requirements and insurance carrier procedures.
- Assesses incidents, complaints, and/or accidents for the purpose of reaching and/or recommending a resolution.
- Maintain a parts inventory for the purpose of assuring adequate supply of required materials and parts to repair and keep buses available to meet the required bus schedules.
- Assures the financial integrity and security of the parts supply for the purposes of implementing and maintaining services and/or programs.
- Manages repair facilities (e.g. bus maintenance, repairs, state inspections) for the purpose of ensuring that expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Researches new products, laws, regulations, etc. for the purpose of recommending purchases, contracts, and maintaining division wide services.
- Schedules regular inspections of all buses for the purpose of ensuring that they are road worthy and in acceptable condition.
- Supervises staff and all related functions of the school bus transportation area.
- Performs other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.