Strategic Relationship Manager, Tier 2
The American Institute of Aeronautics and astronautics is seeking a Strategic Relationship Manager, Tier 2, who will be responsible for the identification, initiation, development, execution, and sales of AIAA products supporting AIAA Industry Partners and the aerospace supply chain. Primary products include exhibition displays, event programming, sponsorship, and advertising opportunities. This individual will also identify and work with companies in the Aerospace Supply Chain that provide Major Assemblies and Integrated Systems in Aerospace and others in assigned segment. Market segment will include major Sub-systems/Structures (Avionics/GNC, Fuel Systems, Landing Systems etc.).; support business interests of corporate members through their inclusion in Institute programs or events leading to revenue growth and/or the definition of new programs, new services and possible speakers in AIAA Forums (in collaboration with AIAA’s Product Development Team); and develop and maintain an “evergreen” pipeline of prospective Industry Partners to build the Industry Partner program in the incumbent’s assigned market segment.
- Develop and maintain close working relationship with Industry Partners, member companies, and other organizations that align with AIAA's mission.
- Sell product and service packages to the Tier 2 company segment which may include: corporate membership, exhibits, sponsorship (to include corporate table sales for the Gala), and advertising.
- Collaborate with SRM team other internal stakeholders and specifically Marketing on the positioning, pricing, and promotion of these premium branded packages;
- Coordinate the provision of those services and product delivery with appropriate internal and external entities to ensure they are delivered to the Partner's satisfaction;
- Coordinate aspects of the Partner experience in advance with the Forum Project Manager, SRM team members, and Events team as required.
- Work with AIAA staff and other stakeholders to fulfill Industry Partner commitments, assure their consistent application, and provide continuous feedback.
- Develop market knowledge of current, former, and prospective Industry Partners as well as an understanding of the particular industry demographic for which the SRM has direct oversight. Maintain familiarity with the business interests of the demographic, its core products, services and markets they serve, and an awareness of the latest industry trends.
- Contribute to ongoing need to develop, refine and manage the requisite tools, information processes and procedures required to support a centralized electronic customer database that:
- Supports a pipeline of prospects for AIAA corporate opportunities
- Identifies past customer buying habits, participation, and investment in AIAA programs/products
- Details company information to focus efforts in order to grow participation/investment in AIAA activities.
- Develop a follow-up report/thank you letters for all customers, customized for the nature of the package sold.
- Develop, in coordination with colleagues and the Managing Director Strategic Outreach, a written annual snap-shot of engagement, quantifying - where possible - the tangible and intangible value obtained (ROI) by Industry Partner from their investment in AIAA products. Present ROI results to the respective Industry Partners.
- Contribute to annual budget development across product lines as directed by the Managing Director, Strategic Outreach. This includes a revenue-growth component on a year-over-year basis across the three product lines (exhibits, sponsorships, Corporate Membership).
- Collaborate on common strategies with the other SRMs and the Managing Director, Strategic Outreach that:
- support Industry partner retention across the Corporate Membership Program;
- strengthen the long-term viability of revenue generated from Exhibits, Sponsorships and Advertising.
- cultivate a robust pipeline of new Industry partners.
- Reports to Director, Strategic Relationship Management
- Work closely with Forum Project Managers, other SRMs, Marketing staff, Communications staff, Exhibit and Sponsorship Operations to ensure that integrated promotional packages are implemented for the Industry Partner.
- Represent SRM team during internal meetings, strategy sessions and to provide status of our direction and progress.
- Attend and participate in planning and review meetings with various internal teams on products we sell and service. Additionally plan to contribute in meetings to conceptualize new products and company initiatives.
- Primary interaction via email and phone from the office. Additionally, includes attendance and face to face interaction at AIAA and industry events, dinners, conferences, office visits, etc.
- Air Travel: Predominantly domestic. 7-10 trips annually
- Occassional local travel as needed
- Occasional client support and entertainment outside of normal working hours.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing preferred. In lieu of bachelor’s degree, a minimum of seven years sales and/or relationship/account management experience is required.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in sales and/or relationship management
- Excellent demonstrated ability to build strong, long-term relationships
- Experience with use of a CRM system, such as SalesForce, or association management system (AMS), such as NetForum
- Demonstrated ability to identify, recommend, and implement new corporate partner programs and services tailored to market demographic or business segment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong ability to convert leads and relationships into sales opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to achieve long and short-term revenue objectives
- Sales negotiation expertise
- Strong motivational skills
- Exceptional multi-tasking, organizing, and planning abilities
- Ability to identify, comprehend, and resolve protocol issues
- Excellent Microsoft office skills (Word, Power Point, Excel)
- Experience developing and contributing to budgets, analyzing ROI and revenue streams, monitoring expenses and financial reporting
- Aerospace Industry experience preferred
- Ability and motivation to expand and evolve industry knowledge of targeted market demographics, their customers, their desired expansion/growth plans, and business needs
- Association experience preferred
- Exhibit sales/management experience preferred
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, including digital, voice and in-person interaction
- Strong attention to detail
To apply, email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Work at AIAA?
Make a real difference in the aerospace industry! Assist us in positioning aerospace for its exciting future while celebrating the industry’s pioneering accomplishments. As an AIAA employee, you will enjoy competitive compensation and benefits including:
- 37.5-hr work week
- 11 holidays + vacation and sick leave
- Great location off the Dulles Toll Road near the new Reston Silver Line Metro
- Awarded ‘Best Workplaces for Commuters’ by Fairfax County Transit Authority and the National Center for Transit Research
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance with low co-pays
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with generous match
- Group Term Life insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Educational assistance
- Health club and Weight Watchers subsidy
AIAA is the largest aerospace professional society in the world, serving an innovative, high-value workforce that helps make the world safer, more connected, more accessible, and more prosperous. We represent a profession whose great work has produced everything from the brilliant innovations that affect daily living to the major missions that fuel our collective human drive to explore and to accomplish amazing things.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
12700 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 200
Reston, VA 20191