JOB PURPOSE: Reporting to the Institute Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting, and reporting activities. The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration. In addition to oversight of reporting activities, the Controller is also responsible for maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of reported financial results. Ensuring effective operation of all appropriate internal controls, adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), employment of Best Practices in the finance function, and establishment and achievement of reasonable goals aligned with those of the Sisters of Mercy are the responsibility of this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Oversee the performance of accounting, reporting, analysis, financial management, and planning functions of SMA, including its affiliates and any other organizations as required and contracted by SMA, all in compliance with current Canon and Civil Law, GAAP and other applicable regulatory and internal control requirements,
- Provide departmental supervision, leadership, and direction consistent with the mission, direction statement, values and goals of the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy,
- Ensure effective and efficient departmental operations with a focus on continuous improvement,
- Maintain oversight of all operations of the finance department, including payroll,
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures,
- Maintain a system of internal controls and safeguards over accounting transactions,
- Manage outsourced functions, e.g. ADP,
- Ensure that all accounting and finance transactions are completed in a timely manner,
- Ensure the issuance of timely and complete financial statements for CCASA and SMA, Inc. and affiliates, and other related parties,
- Provide timely and effective financial management analyses to support decision making,
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts based on approved assumptions,
- Coordinate preparation for and communication with the external auditors and ensure successful completion of all audits and reviews,
- Oversee all grants accounting, ensuring that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant budgets throughout the grant period; collate financial reporting materials for grants,
- Review and approve bank reconciliations,
- Interface with and manage the accounting, reporting, analysis, and planning functions of any affiliates or other organizations required and contracted by SMA,
- Ensure compliance with State, Local and Federal Laws,
- Ensure that all appropriate policies are in place and maintained to minimize risk of loss,
- Ensure timely, complete and accurate updates to the MAPS data base as requested,
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports,
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner,
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions,
- Protect operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential,
- Other duties as requested.
Education, Competencies, and Experience
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following education, competencies, and experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration with Masters preferred
- CPA, CMA, or CGMA certification
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, accounting for investments, and grants accounting
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven working experience as a Controller, preferably at least five years of progressive responsibility as a Controller or a comparable position of responsibility
- Preferred Qualifications
- Skilled in using Blackbaud Accounting Software
- Understanding and appreciation of the traditions and culture associated with the Sisters of Mercy
- Familiarity with the Catholic Church structures and teaching
- Fluent in Spanish a plus
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary.
This job operates in a professional office environment, and requires routine use of office equipment such as computers, phones, copier/fax machines, and manual filing systems, for extended periods of time.
Some overnight travel may be required.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of this position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. Reasonable accommodation will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.
Apply for Controller
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly