Political Organizer - DC Office
5 days left
- Full Time
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce a political organizer position to be filled as soon as possible. This is an exciting opportunity at a critically important time in the AAUP and in the academy. The political organizer will play a vital role in developing issues based campaigns; mobilizing AAUP’s members around political issues that impact our members and the profession as a whole; defining key issues; creating and sustaining coalitions; and winning increased freedoms and protections for faculty, academic professionals, and graduate student employees. The political organizer will be based in Washington, DC, and will travel widely across the U.S., working under the direction of AAUP’s national Director of Organizing. We invite you to join us in our critical work defending and advancing academic freedom, shared governance, due process, and the economic security of the profession.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Organizing members at state and/or chapter level as part of a statewide issues-based campaign. This includes developing and implementing issues campaigns, and may include on-the-ground work to recruit and train chapter and conference level activists.
- Monitoring and assessing key pieces of legislation at the state and federal level.
- Working with the other organizing staff and with AAUP’s external relations staff on messaging and digital communications.
- Working with staff and members to integrate political strategy into contract and organizing campaigns and assisting on these campaigns as needed.
- Developing campaign materials for use at the federal, state, and chapter level.
- Working collaboratively with AAUP’s union partners and other coalition partners on issues of shared concern.
- Coordinating with Association leaders and staff on particular projects and long-range planning, including responsibility for planning content for regional and national training events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least three years’ experience as a political or community organizer required. Experience running political issues campaigns for a labor union preferred.
- Demonstrated experience using Action Network or another digital activism platform required.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups and individuals.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and computer proficiency skills—including familiarity with MS Office required.
- Experience tracking legislation at either the state and federal level required, experience with both preferred.
- Experience using organizing databases to track and analyze campaign progression required.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel nationally, to work long, irregular hours and weekends, and to accept lengthy field assignments required.
- Bachelors’ degree required.
- Experience with the issues affecting higher education at the state and federal level preferred.
Salary range: $58,000 for minimum qualifications; higher salary for preferred qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package.
This position is designated as a senior program officer—special appointment in the Department of Organizing and is part of the staff union bargaining unit.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Political Organizer – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email. You may also mail your resume and cover letter to AAUP, Attention: Political Organizer Search, 1133 Nineteenth Street, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Political Organizer - DC Office
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly