Associate Systems and Tools Engineer
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 17125.Innovation & Service Architecture
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: None
Education: Four-year college degree
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
This Associate role supports Intelsat's Next Generation Satellite Transmission Engineering with knowledge in satellite payload architectures and software engineering programming.
You must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be considered for the role:
- This is an ITAR role; you must be a U.S citizen, Permanent Resident or Asylee
- Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Some experience in transmission engineering
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Effective English language skills both written and oral
- Good knowledge of software engineering and programming skills, to include:
- Extensive data processing experience in MS Excel and programming in VBA on Excel
- ORACLE database and SQL command
- MATLAB simulation and modeling
- Programming in C++ or Java or Visual Basic in MS Access
- Knowledge of the overall aspects of satellite communication systems, communication satellite payloads, propagation effects, physical layer transmission techniques, modem and codec
- Conduct transmission engineering design to characterize measured payload data for satellites under construction (antenna gain files, Amplifiers modeling, filters (IMUXs, OMUXs) and incorporate in a centralized dBase.
- Develop analytical models for satellite payload units such as amplifiers and filters, predict performance of those units, and generate requirements for unit and subsystem performance specifications.
- Verify the accuracy of the antenna measured data received from the manufacturers & maintain engineering database for measured antenna gain files, modem database, terminals and ground antenna characteristics.
- Create antenna data for new satellite antenna coverage design for what-if scenario to be used for the satellite design requirements.
- Review satellite payload measured data (coverages, G/T, eirp, etc.,) and incorporate the reference data in the transmission tools
- Maintain and incorporate in the transmission tools, updated transmission engineering parameters for Intelsat's services
- Develop software analytical models for satellite payload units such as LNA, Converters, amplifiers and filters, predict performance of those units, and generate requirements for unit and subsystem performance specifications.
- Generate/update detailed coverage maps for all beams of current and future satellite deployments.
- Maintain satellite performance databases used in LBA tools & support on-going programs data analysis/database
- Engineer will be provided coaching and work closely with a supervising Engineer.
- Work closely with various departments at Intelsat and provide technical support in a timely manner.
- Has the ability to interface with satellite manufacturers and equipment Vendors.
- Perform tasks and contribute to deliverables as directed by supervisor/Business Lead.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.