Research Assistant for the Molecular Oncology Program (Aykut Uren's Lab), Georgetown Lombardi Compr
Research Assistant for the Molecular Oncology Program (Aykut Uren's Lab), Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) clinicians are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all patients. Lombardi's internationally-renowned physicians treat virtually every type of cancer, including breast, lung, colorectal, prostate, head and neck, and cancers of the blood. Along with cutting-edge cancer care, we offer a program of innovative clinical trials and a full range of supportive care services to improve our patients' health and quality of life. LCCC's Molecular Oncology (MO) Program brings together investigators whose mission is to identify and validate molecular pathways critical to the initiation, progression, maintenance and metastases of cancer.
The Research Assistant performs basic research in a laboratory setting and reports the Principal Investigator in duties that include but are not limited to:
- Performs routine laboratory maintenance and research activities - e.g., general housekeeping, wipe tests, ELISA assays, preparing solutions, media, stains, and buffers; cultures and specimens; autoradiograms and photomicrographs, and executing biochemical procedures, such as electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, and DNA extractions.
- As assigned, performs advanced laboratory research activities - e.g., animal surgery, recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification, and hybridizations.
- Compiles and analyzes research data using Excel.
- Assists with literature research, editing, and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations, and computer graphics for publication.
- As assigned, participates in the design of research studies.
- As assigned, performs administrative duties - e.g., training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry and/or related field
- At least 1 year of experience in laboratory research (equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to use a consultative approach to resolve issues in area of responsibility
- Ability perform research in a laboratory setting working with little training and independence for all routine procedures, to lead certain research activities, and to perform various advanced procedures
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and assisting in the preparation of technical procedures and reports
- Possession of training - or willingness to be trained - in occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials, and/or ionizing radiation
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.