Systems Administrator III - Bowie, MD
With minimal to no supervision, this position designs, administers, maintains and provides technical support for CCS’ network and server systems and services. May take lead roles on projects for IT initiatives. Mentors team members on systems integration and operations. Ensures systems compatibility and standards of configuration are maintained on all new and existing systems. Promotes IT best practices, and general server maintenance. May cover and schedule Help Desk tickets and Change Requests, Due to the nature of this position, and the requirement for extended coverage, this position may be required to work hours outside of a regular schedule.
- Takes the primary role as project leader and designer of new IT technology initiatives. Provides formal project management documentation and partners with junior administrators and systems analysts to ensure the successful transition and operation of these new technologies as the junior administrators and systems analysts assume a maintenance role following the implementation. Designs effective processes for the roll-out and continued services of all IT initiatives to include support functions.
- Develops testing and integration plans for new systems and software in order to ensure compatibility with IDA’s and/or CCS’ current network IT infrastructure. Builds new physical and virtual systems to design specifications and follows proper disposal procedures for retired systems. Ensures all systems meet or exceed the intended business and security requirements and comply with IDA’s minimum configuration standard and configuration management guidelines. Ensures all systems are properly configured to communicate with the corporate asset management system.
- Designs, builds and delivers reliable disaster recovery and backup capabilities with local and offsite restoration capabilities.
- Mentors junior staff and ensures all project and daily task schedules are maintained.
- Maintains technical documentation, to include the development and publication of standard operating procedures for systems and processes.
- Coordinates resources necessary to help resolve network problems or issues.
- Administers and maintains the systems and services, internal and external, physical and virtual, on IDA’s classified and unclassified networks, to include standalone systems and services, to ensure optimum performance and availability.
- Conducts regular system maintenance to include monitoring, tuning, capacity planning, and adjusting configurations as necessary to resolve problems, minimize downtime, and to enhance capabilities. Systems can be identified as, but are not limited to, servers, workstations, networks, appliances, remote access systems, NOCs, and SOC systems.
- Provides system support to minimize downtime, this may include error detection, systems analysis, and timely intervention to prevent or correct system problems.
- Assists Information Security Analysts collect system security audits and perform Computer Emergency Response Team actions. Ensures the success of patch management, software deployment, and network operations for the systems and services within their area of responsibility.
- Provides technical support and responds to all assigned Help Desk tickets and Change Requests.Works with fellow senior analysts when necessary to quickly resolve critical system or service outages.
- Maintains technical proficiency as new IT technologies are implemented at IDA. Keeps abreast of new and developing IT technologies and makes recommendations, as appropriate, to improve or correct IDA’s services and system performance.
- Responds to critical after hours support issues.
- Communicates all computer network, system and service problems and outages immediately.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience in related field.
- Seven years minimum experience in system administration and trouble-shooting networked systems with Linux operating systems. Experience with Mac, Windows, and network system administration desired.
- Working knowledge of Ethernet, TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, media converters, network cabling, e-mail and web services, and remote access methodologies.
- Experience with data backup systems, asset management tools, SANs, VoIP, and virtual machines desired.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form and with all levels of employees; possess good interpersonal skills.
- Project management experience a plus
- Must be willing to work hours outside of a regular schedule.
- Ability to obtain and maintain appropriate TS/SCI with full-scope polygraph security clearance; Active TS/SCI with full-scope polygraph, preferred.