Product Manager, Toys
4 days left
- Full Time
Product Manager, Toys
Smithsonian Enterprises (SE), a division of the Smithsonian Institution, is currently seeking an experienced Product Manager to join the Museum Store Merchandising team. The Product Managers are responsible for overseeing the merchandise selection, procurement, and development of the Toys category for the Smithsonian Museum Stores. They will work to maximize sales, margins and turnover by managing inventories and assortment within their product category, and by offering a focused and targeted assortment based on the museum collections.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Development of annual budget and achievement of sales, gross margin%, gross margin $, and inventory turns and inventory shrink % through successful category management.
- Create product development strategy for the assigned categories.
- Spot trends, sources design and vendors, and develops suppliers to create proprietary products developed using Smithsonian collections for ideas and or concepts.
- Direct vendors and designers to create exclusive merchandise in order to expand and enhance proprietary offerings.
- Manages and completes the OTB process on a weekly basis for assigned departments including reforecasting of sales, inventory, and receipts.
- Partner with Visual team to feature exhibit products and seasonal collections.
- Work with the Merchandise Planning team to establish financial and assortment plans on product sales themes, and upcoming exhibitions.
- Work with Museum partners to identify provenance needs/text and execute approved text on products.
- Monitors vendor performance.
- Execute merchandise business practices/procedures and creates reports and tools to effectively manage area of responsibility.
- Manage purchases, receipts, markdowns, gross margin, and turn to ensure appropriate flow of merchandise relative to sales opportunities.
- Conduct weekly sales and actions meetings, reviewing the successes and shortfalls, and recommending action plans.
- Manage, coach, train and develop direct reports.
- Facilitate and promote timely communication and cooperation between direct channels, stores, merchandise functions and resources.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university, and 5+ years retail buying and product development experience.Specific merchandising experience related to toys is preferred.
*Proven capability and success in buying and product development.
*Experience with succinct assortment planning related to store positioning and achieving strategic goals.
*Knowledge of retail market and industry, as well as strong Open to Buy analytical and financial planning skills. Ability to budget and achieve budget metrics.
*Advanced skill in Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, and Power Point).
*Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to successfully promote ideas to both internal and external partners.
*Strong negotiation skills, as well as the ability to plan, organize, execute, and follow-through.
*Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines and to manage conflicting priorities.
*Strong problem solving skills, service orientation, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with diverse range of people.
Salary: $75k – 85k annually, commensurate with experience
To apply: Email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to
Please include job title in the subject line.
Application materials received without salary information will not be considered.
No phone calls, please.
Excellent Benefit programs including Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental/Vision Insurance, Transit/Commuter Benefits, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Annual and Sick Leave, Family Friendly Leave, 403b Retirement Program, Smithsonian Discounts, Flexible Spending Account (Health & Dependent Care)
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Selectee will be required to serve a one year probationary period. Applicants must be eligible for employment within the US.
This is not a Federal Service position.
Apply for Product Manager, Toys
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly