Security and Safety Assistant (Anticipatory Staffing)
4 days left
- Full Time
The Embassy of Canada in Washington D.C. is hiring a Security and Safety Assistant to perform protective security and safety services on the Chancery premises.
Position title: Security and Safety Assistant (Anticipatory Staffing)
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-310469
Starting salary: $42544 USD, plus benefits
Competition no: 04/17
Date posted: May 25, 2017
Closing date: June 8, 2017
Employment Tenure: There is one (1) term position to be filled, having a specified period of employment of three (3) years, with the possibility of extension or change in employment status to indeterminate based on operational needs. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting.
- Persons living in the Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Be resident in the United States.
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Submit a resume and cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the Essential Requirements, i.e., Education, Experience, for this position. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Under supervision, the Security and Safety Assistant performs the following duties: provides security, safety, and emergency support services for the Embassy; conducts random security/safety inspections throughout the building, as well as the parking garage, and reports irregularities to the on-duty Military Police; creates and maintains accurate records; provides back-up support to the Security Receptionist; provides assistance to the Shipping and Receiving area by screening, monitoring and recording all material entering and exiting; and performs other duties as required.
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions; and
- Good physical condition: capable of walking and/ or standing for extended periods of time; capable of lifting packages or bags up to 50 lbs (22 kg).
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
Successful completion of secondary school or equivalent.
- Relevant and recent work experience in either protective security or law enforcement at a diplomatic mission or international organization;
- Extensive experience working with the general public to provide front-line client service.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of security and safety procedures, including First Aid;
- Knowledge of security screening equipment procedures; and
- Knowledge of and proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Detect and report irregularities, such as security breaches, safety hazards, and emergency situations, to the on-duty Military Police;
- Utilize two-way radio, telephone, and computer applications for communicating with stakeholders;
- Conduct security patrols / escorts without direct supervision;
- Ability to quickly and appropriately follow instructions and procedures in stressful situations;
- Perform moderate physical activity, including standing and/or walking for extended periods of time and lifting packages up to 50 lbs (22 kg).
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgement;
- Client service-orientation
- Team-oriented; and
- Confidentiality (ability to keep sensitive information on a need-to-know basis).
- The ability to work in French would be an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test, and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities, and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Applications should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com by the closing date. In completing their applications, candidates should confirm that they meet all the Essential Requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description and indicate the position number.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally-Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 37.5 hours per week. The incumbent will be required to work during specific business hours (7:00 am - 3:00 pm) and / or (10:00 am – 6:00 pm). Overtime will also be required on an as-needed basis.
Apply for Security and Safety Assistant (Anticipatory Staffing)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly