Special Education Teacher - Multiple Disabilities (2017-2018)
The Special Education Teacher of learners with Multiple Disabilities (MD) provides an optimal learning environment for learners who require the specialized teaching and supports designed for students with multiple disabilities in order to increase the academic, behavioral, communication and adaptive skills for the learners on their caseload. Special education teachers in this position implement district approved curriculum, document student progress through daily and weekly data collection in order to make data-based decisions about the effectiveness of teaching and behavioral strategies. Special education teachers in this position address students' specific needs through multiple and diverse academic and behavioral supports or strategies in a safe learning environment and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. This job reports to Principal.
- Education: Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.
- Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia Department of Education License with an endorsement in Special Education, or eligibility to obtain one.
- Experience and/or additional certification or training in the direct instruction of students with multiple disabilities.
- Key Competencies:
- Formal training or certification in ABA is desired (BCBA supervision may be provided)
- Knowledge of child development, the impact of multiple disabilities on development and learning with special emphasis on language, communication and cognitive development.
- Ability to develop and implement individualized instructional and behavior plans and behavioral management techniques.
- Ability to effectively facilitate support staff with the implementation of individualized student goals in the classroom
- Skill and ability to incorporate recommendations from ancillary support personnel for individual student needs in the classroom.
- Ability to work with other professionals in a collaborative manner.
- Statement of Specialized Experience
- Specialized experience for this position includes experience working with learners with multiple disabilities in an educational environment; conducting formal and informal assessments using curriculum-based tools or progress monitoring measures; collecting data for academic, adaptive/functional life skills, communication and social skills and graphically displaying data; developing individualized reinforcement systems for a variety of learners and supporting learners in inclusive educational environments for the purpose of generalizing skills across settings.
- Adapt the aligned education curriculum or implement alternative reading/math programs to provide students with instructional materials to meet their educational needs.
- Instruct students to improve their success in academic, communication, interpersonal and daily living skills through a defined course of study.
- Collaborate with instructional staff, related service providers, other school personnel, families and a variety of community agencies to improve the overall quality of student outcomes, achieving established classroom objectives and IEP goals.
- Assess student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals (e.g. behavioral, social, motor development and communication skills, academic needs, vocational abilities, etc.) using consistent data collection to provide feedback to students, families and administration.
- Implement instruction in communication skills and behavior at the instructional level of the students to enhance peer relationships and collaborative participation in the general education classroom.
- Manage student behavior to provide a safe and optimal learning environment using the principles of positive reinforcement and consistent implementation of behavioral techniques.
- Implement instruction in adaptive and functional life skills including dressing, feeding, toileting, transitioning in the school and larger community to enhance post-secondary independence.
- Instruct students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom, gym, field trips, etc.) to enhance skill development across a variety of settings.
- Supervise and instruct paraprofessionals in the instructional and data collection methods required and to provide the materials to complete the tasks assigned to paraprofessionals.
- Participate in a variety of meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform expected job duties.
- Prepare a variety of written materials (e.g. Individual Education Programs, progress reports, grades, attendance, etc.) to document student progress and meet mandated requirements.
- Support general education teachers to assist in the planning and implementation of accommodations or modifications in order to meet mandates of individual education programs.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.