The American Academy of Actuaries, a 19,000-member professional organization, is seeking a candidate for its Legislative Assistant position. The Legislative Assistant tracks and reports on federal and state legislative and regulatory developments on issues pertinent to the Academy’s mission to serve the public interest and the U.S. actuarial profession, including healthcare reform, pension and retirement security, property and casualty risk insurance, life insurance regulation, and financial services reforms. Candidate should have legislative or regulatory or other relevant public policy experience, strong writing skills, and ability to multitask.
Responsibilities of this key position include:
- Provide information retrieval and analysis to facilitate the Academy’s public policy work;
- Draft legislative/regulatory alerts for Academy members, and other summaries of relevant policy developments;
- Attend congressional hearings and briefings and report on key issues as needed;
- Remain current on the Academy’s legislative and regulatory priorities; and
- Provide legislative and regulatory updates to the public policy department.
Candidate must be able to work well with a public policy team on a variety of issues and manage workload according to deadlines. The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Work quickly and independently
- Handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
- Communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally
- Navigate state and federal legislative and regulatory processes
College degree, including one to two years of association and/or legislative/regulatory experience, and expertise in the Microsoft Office Suite required. Capitol Hill experience is preferred.
Candidates are required to submit the following to be considered for this position: Cover letter with resume, salary requirements and two writing samples. The Academy offers a professional and challenging work environment, competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, near Metro. Send to HR Manager, American Academy of Actuaries via Email at HR@actuary.org. Please indicate where you noticed this job posting. View our website at www.actuary.org.