Communications Specialist I
1 day left
- Full Time
Communications Specialist I
Provide initial point of contact to incoming communications for APA. Receive, process and/or transfer all contacts via toll-free and local telephone lines, internal transfers, as well as correspondence received via fax, mail, and email. Contacts will consist of varying topics from membership, governance, purchasers, vendors, etc., seeking general or specific information about a product, service, or program of the APA. Each contact will require some form of resolution or action, including, but not limited to taking an order, updating a record, providing specific information, checking the status of a previous action, correcting the result of a previous condition, etc.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree. Liberal Arts or Communications
- 2-3 years of/in Customer Service/Call Center Environment may substitute for degree requirement.
- User of MS Office
- User of association –type database/business system
- Provide telephone coverage for the scheduled time each day while serving as the initial point of contact for all constituents who call the main telephone number of the Association and work within the telephone standards by adequately handling incoming calls and properly utilizing the various phone features, work modes, and reason codes. Be cognizant of any phone back-ups or multiple calls in the queue and provide backup when needed when scheduled on or off the phone. Provide quality customer service to all members, individuals, institutions, distributors, resellers and other constituents by consistently handling calls in a professional, helpful, and courteous manner. Handle calls efficiently, yet thoroughly and personally, with the goal to complete satisfaction. Work within the APA and departmental guideline for answering, directing, and following up on contacts received via telephone. When appropriate cross and up sell products, program, and services.
- Perform customer service in writing or face-to-face for all members, individuals, institutions, distributors, resellers, staff, and other constituents who have contacted or have been forwarded to the Service Center via mail, fax, or email. Accurately and efficiently, read, categorize, and answer various types of written correspondence. This would include claims for subscriptions and book orders, desk and examination copy requests, address changes, authorization to return merchandise, and general subject matter.
- Utilize APA’s integrated business system to perform detailed data entry or research while on and off the telephone. Business system applications or modules to be used by this position include: constituent, customer service, membership, subscription, and order entry (accounting). Also access and effectively use other various databases including but not limited to the Exclusion database, and WebOps and other resources to accurately and proficiently serve all constituents.
- Resolve while on the telephone or while away from work station, discrepancies, problems, or conditions of a current or previous contact by navigating and/or selecting specific information from the business system modules and/or other available resources. Follow-up on all customer contacts when needed, by return calls, mail or email correspondence.
- Address departmental issues and bring concerns to light in a timely manner. Share information and make recommendations in relation to the work operations and policies and procedures for the Communications unit. Suggest, design, and implement appropriate form letters for responsive customer communication and conduct surveys of service level, product use or interest, program interest, etc.,
- Other office duties as needed, such as outbound call for clarification, reviewing and editing entries, photo copying, archiving, etc.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.