Alexandria City Public Schools has an opening for an Interim Superintendent to lead our school division of over 15,500 students. It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for up to six months or until a permanent Superintendent is in place.
The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway. The successful candidate will perform complex professional and administrative work directing and providing leadership for all programs, operations and activities. The School Board expects the Interim Superintendent to carefully maintain the well-established processes and procedures in place while also continuing the effective and efficient implementation of ACPS programs. While internal candidates will be considered for the permanent Superintendent, only external candidates will be considered for Interim Superintendent. Please note that by serving in this role, a successful candidate will be given no preferential treatment in the selection process of the permanent Superintendent.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Doctorate degree in education and five or more years of experience in public school administration; a Division Superintendent Licensure endorsement or eligibility to receive one prior to appointment; knowledge of both central and school based administrative policies and procedures; comprehensive knowledge of school law and the regulations of the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) that govern school operations; ability to manage fiscal and physical resources, and to direct the operations of a broad range of activities through departmental leaders.
- Successfully carry out the division's responsibilities and ACPS 2020 Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that ACPS is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Plan, supervise and evaluate work of all professionals and administrators.
- Plan agendas, attend School Board meetings, serve as a liaison between the School Board and staff; facilitate communications and represent School Board positions and decisions.
- Fiscally manage the school system through supervising and providing oversight of the annual budget and capital improvement plan to reflect budgetary priorities and maintain the quality of the instructional program.
- Interpret the needs of ACPS and make reports to the Board, providing facts and explanations needed to assist the School Board in its decisions.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the community by developing and operating effective school-community relations, while acting as a public advocate for the school division at all times.
- Exercise fairness, objectivity and attention to the best interests of the school division in the conduct of all personnel relations and decisions.
- Oversee the instructional program within the framework of the regulations of the VDOE and the goals and policies of the School Board.
Length of Contract:
Up to six months or until a permanent Superintendent is in place.