Research Assistant (212836)
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is seeking a Research Assistant to support the Cellular Immunology Section at the HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP. Responsibilities are to perform laboratory support and procedures to assist supervisors with experiments and to provide support in various areas as needed.
1. Performs mononuclear cell isolation from biological samples, this includes ficoll purification, counting and freezing of cells.
2. Transfer cells in and out LN2 freezers and update inventory.
3. Prepares solutions and material needed for laboratory experiments, prepares solutions and buffers for tissue culture and molecular biology.
4. Performs plastic inventory and restocks the laboratory.
5. Sterilizes glassware, tips and solutions in the autoclave.
6. Handles biohazard and recycle wastes.
7. Receives and ships products/samples.
8. Maintains tissue culture rooms; this includes keeping the rooms organized, cleaning the incubators and biosafety cabinets.
9. Sees that equipment is in good working order or is repaired as needed and supplies are reordered as necessary.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Technical knowledge of scientific disciplines; knowledge of and skill in tissue culture technique and handling biological hazards and their safe use and disposal; Ability to organize stocks and supplies
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Minimum Experience: 0 to 2 years experience
Physical Capabilities: handles variety of chemicals; requires long periods of standing
Work Environment: laboratory environment
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.