Media Relations Manager
The Diesel Technology Forum, a not-for-profit educational association is hiring for a Manager of Media Relations. The full time position is based in Frederick MD.
The Manager of Media Relations is principally responsible for implementing the organizations media monitoring and outreach program on a day to day basis. This includes monitoring and responding to news coverage, identifying and contacting reporters and journalists, implementing campaigns to solicit coverage, tracking coverage and response. The position will also support other outreach and communications activities such as outreach events and interface with Forum members, the public and policymakers.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Develop and execute strategies for Forum media relations, including outreach to local, national and trade media and coordinating with other departments at DTF to develop strategic messaging.
• Manage responses to media inquiries, including serving as DTF spokesperson when appropriate.
• Monitor and analyze news coverage, for impact on Forum initiatives and messaging, implement timely and professional responses as needed, follow up with reporters.
• Write and edit content for an array of DTF communications, including Letters to the Editor, Op-Eds, website, member presentations and talking points, scripts and speeches.
• Identify and proactively communicate and cultivate relationships with key reporters covering industry issues and beats such as automotive, environment, energy, transportation and business.
• Develop and implement targeted media campaigns. Prepare and Issue news releases, statements, op-eds, blog-postings and other media materials. Pitch trade, local and national media to proactively promote the messages, positions, and activities, of the Forum.
• Evaluate news coverage for further dissemination, web content, alerting members and other purposes.
• Recommend and implement strategies to expand media relations to conventional and social media channels, working with other team members.
• Engage media and journalist groups and societies as appropriate, exploring opportunities to advance the Forum initiatives.
• Present media coverage, trends and related analysis to DTF members in verbal and written format, group presentations or individual briefings.
• Perform other duties as assigned including but not limited to staffing outreach events, preparing for and attending membership meetings.
At least three years experience with a primary role of media or public relations through an agency or for a corporation or other non-profit, or as a journalist. Detailed knowledge of the tools of media outreach and relations including online media platforms and databases, metrics of performance and audience reach.
• Techniques and accepted practices of research, writing and reporting.
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Effective techniques for communication with various audiences.
• Public relations/communications functions, duties and responsibilities.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing in a wide variety of situations.
• Interact effectively with the media, members, and other agencies.
• Work under pressure in a small team environment.
• Appropriately screen confidential and sensitive information.
• Analyze, interpret and present media coverage into clear, concise reports.
• Effectively interface and manage projects involving consultants and member companies at all levels.
• Assist in other areas of the DTF program as needed, such as event staffing and outreach activities, some of which require occasional travel.
• A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or public policy and at least three – five years’ experience in public relations, media relations or communications functions.
• Salary to be determined based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include 401 K retirement plan (after 6 months), employer-contributed (75%) medical, dental, vision, Rx; Employer paid Short term disability and life insurance.