Student Trainee (Engineer) (Internship)
3 days left
- Full Time
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
The Department of the Army Pathways Internship Program is designed to provide students currently enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work and get paid while exploring federal careers through a job with the Department of Army.
About the Position:
Student Trainee (Engineer) for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Construction Division, at the Bay Area office, Fort Meade, MD.
The required education must lead to a bachelor's degree with specialization in or directly related to the field in which the student trainees will receive training on the job. The degree of specialization in this field must satisfy on graduation the specific educational requirements in the qualification standard for the corresponding two-grade interval positions.
WORK SCHEDULE may be full-time or part-time.
This position will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Internship Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation.
Interns MAY be converted to a permanent position after successful completion of the Internship program. To be eligible for conversion, Interns must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program
- Complete their degree or certificate requirements
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualification standards for the position to which the Intern will be converted
- Successfully complete agency-specific requirements as specified in the Participant's Agreement
- Perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations and/or completion of an Individual Development Plan
**Interns MAY be converted to a permanent, competitive position. Anticipated grade upon conversion is a GS-05 grade level. Full Potential Level of the permanent position may be GS-11.**To learn more about the Pathways Internship Program, please visit: the Internship Program page on the Office of Personnel Management's website.
Who May Apply:
- Department of the Army Internship Program Eligibles
- Current students in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate on a full-time or half-time basis.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship
- Payment of moving expenses (PCS) are NOT authorized.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship at the GS-04 level, students must have successfully completed at least two (2) full academic years of post-high school education. Two academic years of undergraduate education is defined as 60 semester hours, 90 quarters hours, or the number of credit hours determined by the college, university or school to represent 2 years of full-time study.
Applicants must provide proof of continued enrollment at the time of application. In order to qualify for this position, you must meet all of the educational requirements below:
- Successful completion of at least 1 full academic year of post-high school study.
- Be a current student in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community college, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, or trade school; advanced degree program; other qualifying educational institution pursing a qualifying degree or certificate.
- Be enrolled at least half-time in high school/GED, vocational, technical, undergraduate, graduate or professional program.
- You must be a student in good academic standing with a cumulative 2.0 grade point average or higher and maintain it while employed in the Pathways program.
- Unofficial transcripts are acceptable with your application, but prior to the initial appointment, the selectee must provide an official copy of school transcripts, documentation of registration, tuition bill, proof of enrollment, or a copy of the acceptance letter from the college or university for new students.
TRANSCRIPTS MUST SHOW THE NUMBER OF CREDITS YOU HAVE COMPLETED AND THE NUMBER OF CREDITS YOU ARE CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN FOR THE SUMMER OR FALL 2017 SEMESTER. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND AN INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE STATUS.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities)in the following areas:
- Skill in Oral Communication
- Skill in Written Communication
- Skill in Automated Systems
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.
Click here for more information.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
Personnel security investigation required.
You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Conditions of Employment
Students are required to remain in good academic standing which is defined as initially possessing a grade point average(GPA) of 2.0 or higher and maintaining it while employed in the Pathways Internship Program.
Required to sign a Pathways Internship Participant Agreement.
To be eligible for the Pathways Internship Program, you must remain enrolled on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution and remain in good academic standing.
Public Trust - Background Investigation