Assistant Director of Congressional Relations
ASTRO, the American Society for Radiation Oncology, is looking for a seasoned professional to lead our efforts to educate members of Congress, their staffs and federal agency officials regarding issues affecting our members and the field of radiation oncology. This individual will be directly involved in member support activities to include developing efforts that achieve the federal policy goals and objectives defined by ASTRO’s Board of Directors, the Government Relations Committee and subcommittees, the CEO and the Vice President of Advocacy. This position will also drive active participation by ASTRO members at the grassroots level, direct the activities of ASTRO’s Political Action Committee, oversee compliance with federal lobbying requirements, help elevate the profile of the field, and work with our Director of Health Policy on payment reform initiatives, including the development of alternative payment models. Minimum travel required approximately 5-10% of the time.
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Four-year college degree in a related discipline.
- Eight or more years of experience in a related role working for a member of Congress, federal agency or professional/trade association.
- Recent experience participating in health policy development and lobbying on various aspects of payment reform and value-based payment, preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Legislative and Executive branch operations, activities and personnel.
- Training in healthcare policy or scientific/medical field.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to work independently (exhibiting leadership qualities) and to develop strong internal work relationships and collaborate in a team setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in order to interact effectively with contacts inside and outside the association, particularly with volunteers and physicians.
- Listens effectively and clarifies as needed; able to present complex technical issues and options; and is viewed as an expert resource.
- Proficiency in processing and analyzing intricate regulatory guidelines, legislation and laws.
- Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Results oriented with the ability to work at a fast pace, determine priorities, and meet critical deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal skills that demonstrate understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, cooperation, concern, and politeness to others; ability to relate well to different people from varied backgrounds and different situations; e.g., internal staff, volunteers, physicians, and other external entities.
- Organization and planning with the ability to organize and/or schedule people or tasks; develop realistic action plans while being sensitive to time constraints and resource availability and meet critical deadlines.
- Strong decision-making and problem solving with an understanding of organization-wide programmatic, operational, financial and management issues and priorities and ability to provide strategic vision to the Government Relations department.
- Ability to manage and execute a department wide budget.
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Commuter benefits with employer subsidy
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- and more
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply: Click Here
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.