Consumer Safety Officer, GS-696-09
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position meets the criteria outlined in OMB M-17-18 and is exempt from the hiring freeze.
The FDA's Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) is the lead office for all FDA Field activities as well as providing support to FDA Product Centers by inspecting regulated products and manufacturers, conducting sample analysis on regulated products, and reviewing imported products offered for entry into the United States. ORA also develops FDA-wide policy on compliance and enforcement activities.
WHO MAY APPLY: Open to all United States citizens
LOCATION: This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Policy and Risk Management, in Rockville, MD
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: This is a career-ladder position; GS-12 is the full performance level.
The salary listed in the vacancy announcement includes the geographical locality pay. Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area within FDA-wide.
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 5% of travel required.
A. Degree: that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming; -OR-
B. Combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
GS-09: Have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service, which includes knowledge, skills, and abilities in performing the duties of the position and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled; to include planning work for a food related organization, conducting analyses of scientific data; preparing reports on scientific and or technical inspection/investigational work for a food related organization; -OR- Master's or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field related to the position to be filled; -OR- Combination of the required experience and education for this grade level.
This position requires a degree or completion of specific courses in order to meet the basic education requirement. You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Your transcript(s) must clearly demonstrate the course(s) listed in the Basic Qualification requirement section. If the transcript(s) does not clearly demonstrate this, you must submit a copy of the course description and/or other documentation demonstrating that the courses are equivalent. Degree requirements must be met by the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this. If you are selected for the position, an official transcript sent directly from your educational institution will be required for verification prior to appointment. You must submit a copy of your transcript in order to substitute your education for the required experience. If you do not submit a transcript, your graduate level education will not be considered in determining your qualifications for the position.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Pre-employment physical required. Candidates for this position must complete a statement regarding their physical ability and may be required to undergo a physical examination.
5. Drug testing required: No
6. License required: Yes, valid driver's license
7. Mobility agreement required: Yes
8. Moving expenses authorized: May be authorized
9. Relocation Incentive authorized: No
10. Recruitment Incentive authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
13. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
14. Please be advised that this position will be subject to FDA's strict prohibited financial interest regulation and therefore, may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are strongly advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the FDA hiring official before accepting this position.
Q - Nonsensitive