The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is located within the Department of Family Medicine, Family Practice at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital in Fort Belvoir, VA.
Incumbent will provide independent and collaborative primary/specialty care and comprehensive and therapeutic health care services. Practices evidence-based care, with competency in assessment, diagnosing and managing family practice patients, nursing theory, research, and advanced clinical practice in designated primary care or specialty area.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
- Not Required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Registration: Active, current registration as a Professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your Registered Nurse license with your application).
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as conducting patient evaluations; order and interpret laboratory and diagnostic tests; prescribe medications as necessary; and provide patient education to patients and/or family members. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Advanced Education: Advanced Practice Registered Nurses who complete their respective specialty programs after 31 December 2001 must be graduates of an accredited master's level or doctoral program acceptable to the Department of Defense that prepares the Registered Nurse with additional knowledge and skills to practice in their clinical specialty as a Nurse Practitioner. (NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts with your application package if your specialty program was completed after 31 December 2011)
Certification: Advanced Practice Registered Nurse positions require certification by a nationally recognized certifying body appropriate to the specialty area as a Nurse Practitioner or within 12 months of graduation, the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse will achieve certification. (NOTE: You must submit a current copy of your nationally recognized certification if already obtained)
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position is covered by the Department of Defense Civilian Employee Drug-Free Workplace Program as a testing designated position (TDP).
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- This position requires the incumbent to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.