Media Relations Manager
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national trade association representing more than 21,000 chapter members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 70 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which they work.
The Media Relations Manager is responsible for assisting the Vice President of Public Affairs and the Senior Director of Public Affairs with various communications initiatives including media outreach and tracking, message creation and distribution in a variety formats, management of Public Affairs website content and social media initiatives.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Develop and execute strategies for media and external relations, including outreach to industry groups and local and national media and coordinating with other departments within the association to develop strategic messaging supporting ABC’s priorities.
- Manage responses to media inquiries, including serving as ABC spokesperson when appropriate.
- Write and edit content for ABC National and chapter communications, including Newsline, industry publications, chapter magazines/newsletters, blogs, talking points, scripts and speeches.
- Monitor print and online publications for stories affecting ABC and the construction industry and keep key audiences informed through media reports.
- Maintain a list of key media contacts for major ABC issues and establish positive working relationships with them.
- Manage distribution of ABC messages on key issues to the media in a variety of formats, including social media, video, websites, newswires, etc., and track coverage and distribute weekly clips email.
- Develop contacts related to key ABC issues in the media and the legislature; attend hearings and coalition meetings, as needed.
- Oversee ABC’s economic data releases, including managing the budget, writing, editing and distributing economic content, in conjunction with the ABC Chief Economist, ensuring it is delivered in a variety of interactive formats (charts, infographics, video, etc.) and in the context of the larger economy.
- Manage electronic distribution of news releases, economic news, newsletters and other member, chapter and media communications through Outlook, Magnet Mail and any other outside vendor, including maintaining email templates and updating as necessary.
- Ensure ABC messages are being distributed in engaging formats, including video, infographics, slide shows, etc., and create those materials, as needed.
- Provide media relations education and support for ABC chapters, including writing letters to the editor and press releases/statements/media advisories, developing press lists, providing guidance on responding to inquiries and developing pitches.
- Serve as back up for the Communications Manager on photography, social media and writing duties.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; knowledge of AP style
- Strong verbal and telephone communications skills
- Experience acting as a spokesperson and demonstrated track record of generating media coverage
- Familiarity with construction industry and the political and regulatory process
- Photography/video skills
- Association experience a plus
- Ability to create infographics and dynamic charts, use video-editing software a plus
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience.
- 3 to 5 years of communications experience.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter, highly organized.
- Coordination of projects, meetings and/or events a plus.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.