Housing Counselor II
Northern Virginia Family Service provides a comprehensive set of services designed to address the root cause of poverty and homelessness within the Northern Virginia area. Housing Counselors provide intake; coordinate and monitor the assessment, treatment/intervention planning process and follow-up for each client; serves as an advocate and liaison for and on behalf of client.
The Housing Counselor II will provide assistance in building client self-sufficiency around family systems, housing, budgeting, employment, educational training, health, and other human services, with an emphasis on long-term economic and housing stability in keeping with the Housing 1st goals. The Housing Counselor II could be assigned to residential or community based clients through the Northern Virginia region.
Job duties include:
- Conduct comprehensive initial screening process to determine eligibility for program services, providing assessment, intake and enrollment where appropriate.
- Manage a caseload of specific clients including developing Service Goal Plan, budgeting, and monitoring of client’s compliance with program rules.
- Conduct and document client meetings to monitor progress.
- Conduct phone follow-up after completion of the program.
- Conduct outreach and establish network of community resources and services.
- Make referrals to other services as needed and work with other community providers to provide collaborative services to clients.
- Conduct unit inspections to ensure compliance with safety and federal/funder regulations.
- Conduct and document home visits to document progress and ensure that clients still meet program guidelines and eligibility.
- Process re-certifications as per funder’s requirements.
- Outreach to landlords for mediation, negotiation, and tenant relations.
- Monitor direct assistance that can be used for financial support, rent, utility, and security deposit payments.
- Compile and prepare appropriate tenant/landlord contracts and landlord check request payments to ensure timely delivery.
- Participate in regular supervision with Program Manager by providing regular updates and preparing case presentations.
- Maintain client files in accordance with program requirements and NVFS guidelines.
- Maintain current level of knowledge on program software and other information on housing assistance programs.
- Comply with the Standards and Ethics for Housing Counseling.
- Responsible for maintaining certification CEUs if certified.
Education and experience required:
- Must have one of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work from an accredited college or university with one (1) year of case management experience OR
- Associate’s degree with at least two (2) years related work experience OR
- At least four (4) years of related work experience with no relevant education
- Housing Counselor Certification a plus
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Farsi, or Urdu preferred
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule to meet client needs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Successful completion of background checks is required upon hire
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of a person so classified.
Northern Virginia Family Service is a private, non-profit human service organization with a $37 million annual budget, 450+ employees, 4,500+ volunteers, and offices located throughout Northern Virginia. Serving nearly 35,000 children and families, our programs encompass core service areas that empower local families to improve their quality of life: housing and emergency services; health and mental health services; early childhood education and child placement services; intervention and prevention programs; job training; and legal services. Northern Virginia Family Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant.
This is a full-time, benefited position located in Manassas, VA.
Apply for Housing Counselor II
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly