Engineer - Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Responsible for developing plans and specifications for small school construction or renovation projects. Assists the Lead Architect with developing and maintaining major building standards. Provides input on materials and equipment for new schools and renovation projects. Works closely with outside architects, engineers and agencies, the Department of General Services, Public Works, Fire, Utilities, Sediment Control, Public Health, Inspections and Permits Departments.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Works with the Design Office staff and Lead Architect to develop schematic design, design development and construction documents for small construction projects.
2. Collaborates with the Department of Instruction, Maintenance, Purchasing and engineers to schedule, design and produce remodeling and/or renovation project plans and specifications.
3. Provides construction administration for projects including review of submittals, change orders, claims, etc.
4. Proposes standardization of major building components and uniform systems design.
5. Reviews new construction projects, renovations and other proposed projects on school property to ensure standards have been met.
6. Communicates with other school districts and outside agencies to keep current on code changes and trends in the school design and construction industry.
7. Develops and/or reviews feasibility studies, cost estimates and schedule development for projects.
8. Develops and/or participates in the Request for Proposal (RFP) selection process for services required for projects.
9. Prepares status reports and position papers for projects.
10. May be required to respond to emergency situations as necessary during and outside of normal business hours.
11. Participates in training specified by supervisor and relevant to duties performed.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering.
· Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience as an MEP engineer or designer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to review and produce construction plans and specifications, to incorporate applicable building codes and regulations and to recognize deviations from such requirement.
· Strong project management skills and experience in evaluating the quality and rate of construction progress on projects and ability to evaluate cost estimates and budgets.
· Ability to communicate verbally and in written form with contractors, architects, engineers, Board of Education staff members, the general public, and the Departments of General Services and Public Works and other regulatory agencies.
· Knowledgeable of the Anne Arundel County and City of Annapolis permit process.
· Ability to work outside traditional work hours during the school year.
· Proficient in AutoCAD and Revit MEP.
· Demonstrated proficiency with business technology applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite-Word, Excel, Outlook, and/or PowerPoint preferred).
· Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse populations.
· Possession of a valid Class (C) Maryland driver's license, plus proof of a good driving record and have daily access to a vehicle.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS for employment in Grade D by new hire or transfer:
In addition to all the requirements of Grade C listed above:
· Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience as an MEP engineer or designer.
· Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Maryland.
Career Ladder Requirements
Eligibility for Consideration for Advancement from Grade C to Grade D requires:
· Two years of continuous successful experience in the position at the Grade C level.
· Mastery of all responsibilities and duties of the position.
· Achievement of a Professional Engineer License in the State of Maryland.
· Evidence of completion of additional training that may be recommended by supervisor and/or participation in approved professional development programs or courses, approved in advance by the supervisor.
· Achievement of identified goals as they relate to the needs of the district and as established by the supervisor.
· Consistent maintenance of an effective and orderly work environment.
· Consistent compliance with general office procedures such as standards contained in the AACPS Employee Handbook; demonstration of discretion and excellent customer service; regular and punctual attendance; and building dress code, including wearing AACPS ID badge.
· Above Satisfactory overall job performance for two (2) most recent consecutive years.
· Recommendation of the supervisor.
· As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.