DIB Program Analyst - SFRD
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) operates three Federally Funded Research and Development Centers supporting federal decision making – two serving the Department of Defense and one serving the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President of the United States. IDA assists the United States Government in addressing important national security issues, particularly those requiring scientific and technical expertise.
IDA’s Strategy, Forces & Resources Division (SFRD) is seeking qualified candidates to fill its Program Analyst position. This position is responsible for supporting the Manager, Division Administration (MDA) in administration and control of Division tasks with emphasis on the Defense Institution Building (DIB) program area. Responsibilities cover a wide range of activities in support of the program area’s objectives, including the preparation and reporting of budget information, monitoring project expenditures and projecting future expenditures against available budgets; coordination and liaison with officials from sponsoring agencies, acquisition of office equipment and required services in support of deployed research teams, representing the project leadership at designated functions or on committees, and providing assistance to Division management in the preparation of program plans.
- Oversees budget/contracts of $6-10M annually, and provides administrative and management support to research teams of 3 to 5 people deployed on average to 3 to 4 different countries in any given month.
- Assists MDA, DIB research program director and supports directorates in the project description development and funding process. Reports current status information on each active and prospective project monthly with supplementary reports as required. Functions include:
- Administration of the research program project development process, including the preparation, dissemination, review, and processing of IDA project descriptions.
- In conjunction with relevant staff, monitors the status through final signature, counsels staff members and sponsors as needed concerning funding mechanisms (MIPRs, 419s, etc.) and monitors the funding documents until receipt by appropriate agencies.
- Monitor project funding status by collecting, synthesizing and preparing data from various resources. Prepare regular and ad-hoc reports to fulfill sponsor and project leadership requirements. Develop projections of expected project expenditures compared to budgets to provide sufficient lead time for new funding to be placed on contract before existing funding is exhausted.
- Works with team leads in the preparation of budgets, reviews project status reports, initiates appropriate follow-on actions, prepares project expenditures taking into account all related costs (i.e., travel, consultants). May coordinate, conduct and prepare numerous and varied reports, and communicates with staff and sponsors to obtain necessary information.
- Supports the MDA in management of division research program. Helps MDA in managing the interface between the unique demands of the DIB work program and corporate policy concerning areas such as consultants and subcontractor usage; office and computer related requirements, purchasing and related expenditure approvals.
- Provides tailored and direct support to deploying and deployed research teams to anticipate, preclude or resolve issues with communications connectivity and IT resources, safety and security, travel and travel policies, procurement of support in deployed locations, team safety, hiring and assignment of new project staff, monitoring of variable benefits for adjunct staff and of restrictions on use of consultants, including:
- Initiation and processing of staff requests for new consultants and subcontractors in response to DIB Program Director requests; reviews subcontract proposals for content, reasonableness of cost, and conformity with IDA and government procurement practices; monitors reassignment of consultants to ensure compliance with the Institute’s policy on conflicts of interest.
- Oversees office equipment and space requirements; acts as primary liaison for computer related planning and acquisition; Assists Division management in determining related needs, expenditures, networking support and other related requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with corporate administrative practices, including purchasing, security and personnel and for identifying, analyzing, and developing for management approval alternative approaches where standard IDA approaches appear ill-suited to the unique DIB program of work ; supports the Division MDA in liaison with other divisions and with IDA headquarters. Accountable for project’s administrative expenditures to include the approval and reporting of staff travel, consultants and vendor invoices, purchase requisitions and timesheets.
- BS degree in related field such as Business Administration and six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in comparable environment, preferably government contracting, or equivalent combination of relevant experience and college coursework.
- Must be familiar with general accounting concepts and the FAR.
- Possess excellent interpersonal abilities and communication skills both oral and written; must also have supervisory/management experience.
- Experience with microcomputers and associated software.
- U.S Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain appropriate security clearances is required.