Senior Security Technologist
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), located on the Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, MD, is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled to launch in October, 2018.
The Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) is seeking a Senior IT Technologist. The primary responsibilities of the individual filling this position will be providing leadership, guidance and support of the STScI’s Information Security Infrastructure.
• Work directly with STScI staff to design and implement information security solutions that support mission, science, and information security objectives.
• Work with information security staff to implement new network architectures, defensive technologies, and monitoring solutions.
• Assist in daily maintenance and problem resolution. Serve as a resource for trouble ticket support.
• Modify and update the security configuration for firewalls, IDS, Log Servers, and all related information and security devices.
• Mentor and guide activities of staff.
• Work in a collaborative team environment, sharing all knowledge and skills with other team members.
• Review, audit, and support all information security systems.
Hands on experience with:
o Check Point Firewalls
o IDS/IPS Sensors
o Troubleshooting skills using various tools (command line, packet capturing, etc.)
o Incident Response and analysis
o FISMA Compliance support
o Continuous Security Monitoring
o 2 Factor authentication solutions
o SSL / IPSEC VPN (Cisco ASA)
o WAN Protocols (BGP, MPLS, IPSEC, OSPF, etc.)
o Securing both wired and wireless networks
o Performance/flow monitoring statistics
Candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant area and have a minimum of 10 years of progressive technical expertise in the Security domain. Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for the stated qualification may be considered.
• Significant experience in the configuration and management of firewalls, IDS/IPS, DNS, proxy servers, virtual private networking, remote access solutions, and modern and secure network designs is required
• Experience managing and trouble-shooting complex network infrastructure in LAN/WAN environments with knowledge of routers, switches, wireless, firewalls from Cisco, Check Point, etc. is required
• Must have a good understanding of applications such as L3 VPN and L2 VPN
• Demonstrated ability and knowledge of networking architectures
• Proven ability to manage large-scale information security and network projects
• Familiarity with the ITIL and project management practices
• CISSP, GIAC, CCNA/CCNP, ITIL/PMP/PMI certification is a plus
• Excellent customer service and communication skills
STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at http://www.stsci.edu/jobs or the “Apply Online” link at the bottom of this posting. Please provide a cover letter and resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job #17-0089 in the filename. Applications received by June, 12, 2017 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)