Communications Director (Administrative Aide)
Serves as the communications manager and coordinator in a deadline-driven environment. Developes, implements, and evaluates a communications plan. Leads the generation of online content that engages the community audience and leads to measurable action. Implements communication vehicles and creates momentum and awareness as well as tests and measures the effectiveness of communications activities. Manages the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic material. Coordinates webpage maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information is posted regularly (article links, stories, and events). Coordinates all communications with staff team and manages the master communications calendar. Activities include print, electronic, and social media communications with constituents, homeowner associations, businesses and boards. Develops a community ambassador and brand program.
Schedule: Scheduling flexibility is required. Work hours may include some evening and weekend hours to cover and participate in required events and community meetings.
- Makes presentations on behalf of the department to community and by county officials;
- Implements event and meetings;
- Writes speeches for presentation to community and county;
- Writes proposals in support of departmental goals and projects;
- Produces multimedia productions to support the goals of the department (multimedia may include audio, video or online productions);
- Implements print production projects;
- Serves as a member of the department's communication planning (strategic planning, action planning) team;
- Makes public presentations on behalf of department;
- Responds to requests for information regarding agency/county programs;
- Provides assistance to agency/county staff as to the most effective means of communicating information to the general public, government employees, and other target groups.
- Ability to write, edit and design for departmental publications;
- Ability to write for multimedia;
- Knowledge of appropriate standards and formatting for online media;
- Ability to use current computer software and e-mail systems;
- Ability to consult with management and other staff;
- Ability to solve problems;
- Ability to supervise projects;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to adapt broadly defined policy guidance to specific situations with a minimal amount of supervision;
- Ability to participate in meaningful interchange of views on matters of critical importance to the county;
- Ability to plan and review the work of others;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, the press, and county employees.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to a bachelor's degree in communications, business administration or a related field, plus three years progressively responsible experience in communication area of specialization.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Resident of the southeastern portion of Fairfax County, preferably Mount Vernon community. Bi-lingual, fluency in Spanish or other foreign languages welcomed. Strong professional writing and copyediting experience; experience with website content management; knowledge of principles and practices of marketing and public relations, and of social media best practices. Ability to multitask, work independently and meet deadlines. Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner. Experience with strategic communications planning, marketing, advertising, and community relations, including designing and implementing activities involving public participation.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
This position is primarily sedentary; may require lifting up to 15 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview. If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide three (3) writing samples and/or a portfolio.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.