Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
This Guidance Counselor, GS-1740-09 position is located in the Army Education Center 2472 Ernie Pyle Street Fort George G. Meade, MD 20755.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
- Occasional Travel
- Business Travel up to 5%
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: in conducting adult education and training programs, providing education and vocational assistance and counseling to all military personnel, family members and other members of a community; and assisting personnel in making course and program choices.This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Education Theories, Principles, and Techniques of Adult Education Guidance Counseling
- Knowledge of Academic Testing Methods (e.g. Achievement, Interest and Aptitude)
- Skill in Communication
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
Two (2) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
1. Tests and measurement: Study of the selection, evaluation, administration, scoring, interpretation, and uses of group and individual aptitude, proficiency, interest, and other tests.
2. Adult education: Study of the adult as a learner, teaching-learning theories for adults, models and procedures for planning, designing, managing, and evaluating adult learning activities.
3. Educational program administration: Study of the foundation and methods in organizing for adult and continuing education programs.
4. Curriculum development or design: Study of the principles and techniques for development of curricula for adult or vocational education programs.
5. Teaching methods: Study of teaching strategies and learning styles of the adult learner.
6. Guidance and counseling: Study of the purposes and methods in counseling and guidance, the role of the counselor in various settings, approaches to counseling, and the uses of tests in the counseling situation.
7. Career planning: Study of career development, learning activities, systems, approaches, program coordination, use of educational and community resources, and vocational counseling systems.
8. Occupational information: Study of theories of occupational choice and vocational development and their application to the guidance process. Identification and utilization of various types of occupational information and resources.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Degree that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours appropriate to the position to be filled is required.
- Initial and must maintain a clear National Agency Check with Inquires (NACI) background investigation.