HIGH SCHOOL DEAN - SPECIAL EDUCATION
Master’s Degree and endorsement in special education; administrative endorsement or special education leadership certificate preferred.
- Has successful experience as a teacher, administrator, or supervisor.
- Possesses leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community.
The High School Special Education Dean works to ensure the provision of a Free and Appropriate Public Education for all students in accordance with all State and Federal Guidelines. The dean’s knowledge and responsibilities require them to be in the classroom on a daily basis monitoring and assisting with providing specialized instruction and ensuring that all needs are met.RESPONSIBILITIES:
The responsibilities of the Dean include but are not limited to:
- Oversight and maintenance of official special education records in compliance with Virginia Regulations
- Expert knowledge of procedural safeguards that provide parents of students with disabilities notice of actions proposed or refused by the school
- Expert knowledge of the components of child find process including screening and referral who may be in need of special education or related services
- Coordination of child study team meetings for review of records and other evidence in order to make recommendations.
- The high school Dean must be knowledgeable in State and Federal Regulations that govern the drafting and implementation of the Individualized Education Program.
- The dean is responsible for:
- Supervising IEP development, reviews and revisions, and provision of services in the Least Restrictive Environment
- Serving as the designee for all IEP and Re-evaluation Meetings
- Ensuring appropriate membership for IEP team meetings
- Making certain appropriate secondary transition goals and services are included at age 14 and age 16
- Knowledge of and appropriate participation in State and District Wide Assessments, Verified Credit and Diploma requirements
- Monitoring Progress reporting
- Coordination of services and provisions for children with disabilities who transfer between schools in Virginia or from a Local Education Agency outside of Virginia
- Knowledge of the least restrictive environment and the continuum of services and placements available.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all disabilities and the continuum of service models to assist and support IEP teams in recommending the Least Restrictive Environment and placement.
- Performs related work as required.
The Dean reports to the Principal or designee.OTHER INFORMATION: LICENSED APPLICANTS MUST UPDATE THEIR APPLICATION TO INDICATE WHICH POSITION(S) THEY ARE APPLYING FOR. IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED A NEW RESUME WITHIN A YEAR AND/OR CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE, PLEASE SUBMIT AN UPDATED RESUME.
OPEN UNTIL FILLEDAPPLY TO:
Department of Human Resources and Talent DevelopmentSALARY:
Appropriate Teacher’s Scale plus Stipend $1236
207 Day PositionDAYS: FROM - TO -