Office Manager, Office of the Dean - Walsh School of Foreign Service
Office Manager, Office of the Dean - Walsh School of Foreign Service
The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS), founded in 1919, is a premier school of international affairs. At Georgetown's Washington, D.C., and Qatar campuses, SFS provides a rigorous education grounded in both theory and practice while instilling the Jesuit values of service.
The Office Manager manages the day-to-day operations of the SFS Dean's Office and serves as a resource on matters relating to daily operations for staff across the School. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, the Office Manager has duties that include but are not limited to:
Dean's Office Management
Facilities & Technology
- Manages all 301, 232, and other Dean's Office facilities; works with Facilities Management, University Information Services, Xerox Contractors, and Custodial Management to ensure routine maintenance and on-call service when needed; monitors performance of University custodial personnel and requests additional cleaning when necessary; and performs light cleaning as necessary.
- Maintains 301-D kitchen area and its equipment and supplies.
- Provides training to staff, faculty and students on equipment use.
- Coordinates all physical and electronic administrative distribution and mail processes for Dean's Office.
- Arranges for selection and rotation of ICC Galleria flags annually.
- Serves as Departmental Technology Representative for the Dean's Office, and as the DEMOC Floor Marshal for the 3rd floor of the Intercultural Center.
Maintains general administrative files in digital format in accordance with university record retention policies; and manages access to, integrity of, and organization of shared Dean's Office cloud storage systems.
Budget and Procurement
- Serves as Requisitioner and Expense Preparer in GMS.
- Manages Dean's Office FedEx accounts; orders supplies, equipment, and services for Dean's Office and other programs as appropriate; and orders and maintains stock of office equipment supplies, literature, and operating software.
- Reconciles ProCard monthly; maintains accurate print and copy accounting on all Dean's Office Xerox machines, and reallocates charges for shared use of these machines based on accounting data; and manages Pinnacle billing account for Dean's Office phone lines.
- Submits Voice and Data Service Orders for the Dean's Office.
- Serves as Manager in GMS.
- Recruits, hires, evaluates, and terminates student employees for staffing the front office for the Dean's Office and Undergraduate Program; and ensures selection of students appropriate to the job.
- Trains student employees to perform Office Manager's duties (as appropriate) in various functional areas, and supervises them in the performance of these duties.
Front Office Management
- Serves as primary representative of the SFS Dean's Office and BSFS, and receives visitors and callers of all types, including current students, prospective students, parents, GU staff and faculty, external constituents, and distinguished guests of SFS.
- Provides program, procedural, and directional information, and refers to other offices/departments as appropriate.
- Manages the distribution and receipt of student forms, as well as receipt and distribution of deliveries for the 301 suite occupants and for any individual or department with a mailbox in the 301 suite.
- Manages appointments and requests for communication with BSFS deans.
- Refers requests for appointments with the Dean of SFS to the Executive Assistant, and takes messages for the Dean and the Dean's administrative staff as necessary.
- Maintains front desk training manual and other associated materials, ensuring information is current and relevant.
- Maintains professional appearance of front desk area.
- Trains student and temporary employees to manage the front desk and supervises their work.
Central Services Management
- Manages key inventory, distribution, and control for all SFS spaces in the Intercultural Center; and develops accountability and control policies, working with Associate Dean for Finance and Administration.
- Manages SFS space assignments in coordination with the Associate Deans, and maintains up-to-date floor plans.
- Manages access to and maintenance of shared adjunct faculty office in 520-H.
- Schedules and manages calendars for McGhee Library and other conference rooms, including those in 302, and 305; ensures compliance of requestors with policies governing the use of McGhee Library and conference rooms; and assists groups in finding other spaces for events as necessary.
- Assists faculty and staff with office space matters.
- Manages school-wide collection of electronic waste for recycling
- Updates SFS staff directory.
- Maintains electronic distribution lists for all SFS staff and physical mail lists for all SFS staff and faculty.
- Manages daily mail receipt and deliveries to any necessary location.
Manages all SFS mobile accounts, performs regular audits of Pinnacle charges across SFS, and works closely with SFS Finance team to accurately allocate centrally billed charges to individual programs
Training and Development
- Serves as an ombudsperson to employees who are seeking the support or intervention of the Dean's Office on matters related to facilities, procurement, and other administrative issues.
- Assists SFS staff as necessary by providing information - for example, policies and procedures, tutorials on forms and processes.
- Maintains and updates internal staff resource website.
- Leads monthly SFS Managers' and Administrators' Council meetings, and leads ad hoc Office Management Working Group to address shared issues and best practices related to the day-to-day operations of programs and offices across the school.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 2 years of office management experience - preferably in a university setting
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Strong orientation to detail, deadlines, and customer service
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.