Senior Lock Systems and Security Container Technician
General.The general responsibilities of the Technology Development Branch (TDB) Locks Technician are to identify, evaluate, and approve locks and lock systems (including key control/key management) in accordance with the process outlined below under Day-to-Day Duties and Responsibilities. The technician also provides additional high-level lock maintenance and troubleshooting support to diplomatic security field elements. The technician additionally provides lock support, performs minor repairs, re-keying and conducts technical assistance on GSA-approved combination locks, containers and vault doors. The technician is furthermore responsible to inspect new containers, set shipping combinations, and coordinate shipment and installation. The technician is also called upon to research, evaluate, and present recommendations for new locking hardware and systems to include IP-based products suitable for Technical Security Systems (TSS) applications. Other aspects of duties include:
- Works from schematics, diagrams, written and verbal instructions.
- Conducts complex engineering tests to collect design data or assist in general research work.
- Diagnoses and isolates equipment and system malfunctions which fail to respond to standard corrective measures.
- Assists in the development of electronic equipment.
- Repairs or modifies cables and equipment returned by operational users or by personnel in the associated test and development laboratories.
- May provide guidance and work leadership to less-experienced technicians.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- Develop or Refine Customer Technology RequirementsConduct Technology Needs AssessmentsDevelop or refine Concepts of OperationsPerform and document Product ComparisonsPerform and document Product EvaluationsDevelop Pilot Project PlansDevelop Deployment Documentation PackagesDevelop New Product BulletinsDevelop Technical BulletinsPlan for and respond to Product ObsolescenceProvide Lock Support as the Tier 3 support activity for the field