Lead Synthetic Chemist - Experimental Therapeutics
GDIT is seeking a Lead Synthetic Chemist to support the mission of the Experimental Therapeutics (ET) Branch of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). The mission of the WRAIR Branch of Experimental Therapeutics is to discover and develop new pharmaceutical agents to protect military members from death, disease, and injury. The ET Branch is organized into three distinct departments which contribute to the different phases leading to FDA drug approval. The three comprising departments are the Departments of Drug Discovery, Drug Development, and Clinical Pharmacology.This position is in direct support of the Department of Drug Development. Specific tasks include:
- Design routes of chemical synthesis for designed analogs directed toward specific therapeutic targets
- Synthesize new anti-microbial analogs in support of a lead optimization program as directed by the medicinal chemists.
- Assign synthetic targets to synthetic chemists as requested by the government or senior medicinal chemist.
- Serve as a mentor and lead chemist to the synthetic organic chemists, soldiers, and students working in the synthesis lab.
- Provide input for the performance evaluations of senior synthetic organic chemists and synthetic organic chemists.
- Register, submit, and validate compounds registered in the LIMS.
- Prepare and present project status presentations and/or written reports as required.
- Attend meetings and professional conferences as needed.
- Preside over bi-weekly meetings between key administrative and technical staff to set performance tasks, report progress, and troubleshoot technical issues.