Lab Manager (WRAIR-Analytical Core)
GDIT is seeking a Laboratory Manager to support the mission of the Experimental Therapeutics (ET) Branch of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). The mission of the WRAIR Branch of Experimental Therapeutics is to discover and develop new pharmaceutical agents to protect military members from death, disease, and injury. The ET Branch is organized into three distinct departments which contribute to the different phases leading to FDA drug approval. The three comprising departments are the Departments of Drug Discovery, Drug Development, and Clinical Pharmacology.This position is in direct support of the Department of Drug Development. Specific tasks include:
- Establish and maintain a means to receive and track the processing of all samples submitted to the lab, and coordinate the scheduling of experiments and use of instrumentation to facilitate the timely turnover of data to research personnel.
- Maintain laboratory supply and reagent inventory to fully support the ongoing and upcoming research needs of the lab, and proactively submit purchase requests for needed research supplies and reagents such that there be no delay to scheduled research.
- Participate in the research budget planning and proposal submission process to provide input for estimating cost of supplies and reagents and estimating instrumentation-time needed to support proposed research such that all estimates proposed for supplies and reagents are determined to be 90% accurate at the end of the performance period.
- Maintain an internal budget of all purchase requests submitted and line of accounting used, and match these records with weekly budget reports from the resource management division in order to account for any items not received and ensure that all planned supply and reagent resources have been at least 90% committed by end of the period of performance or cutoff date established during the planning process.
- Be proficient in the use of government procurement systems (specifically GFEBS and DMLSS) such that purchase requests and subsequent tracking within these systems is available throughout the contractual period.
- Train and assist technicians and junior researchers.
- Prepare and use laboratory SOPs and protocols.
- Plan, coordinate, and perform LC-MS analyses in support of pharmacokinetic studies and chemical purity determinations.
- Use LCMS systems from different manufacturers.
- Write new and troubleshoot existing scripts for the performance of assays utilizing the TECAN Liquid Handling system.
- Oversee scheduling of all laboratory operations, including, but not limited to, manpower schedules, instrument usage, maintenance, and miscellaneous laboratory duties.
- Maintain a Microsoft Access database for the logging of sample receipt, required testing, special requests, and preliminary results.
- Assist in the writing of manuscripts for publications, prepare data for in-house presentations, and present findings at scientific meetings.
- Comply with all specified guidelines regarding safety, security, standard operating procedures, written protocols, technical manuals, and procurement of supplies/equipment as per WRAIR regulations.
- Maintain appropriate data records and QC data for incorporation into LIMs database.