A key member of the communications team, the position is expected to have extensive ability to review and synthesize complex technical/scientific data and then clearly present information in an easily comprehensible way for both expert and non-specialist audiences. He or she will consult relevant IDA staff members to interpret technically sophisticated project specifications and requirements.
- Review technical papers, briefs, and other materials describing IDA analyses/technical evaluations and convert the materials into concisely written summaries that capture the essence of the work and are understandable both to well-informed lay persons and subject matter experts including senior government officials.
- Create various products for external audiences based on existing publications, workshops, or symposia organized by IDA including abstracts and explanations of IDA publications, project descriptions, and other research materials.
- In collaboration with graphic artists, develop graphics and illustrations to help present key results in an easy-to-understand fashion and create an appealing visual impression that attracts readership.
- Create descriptions of IDA research capabilities appropriate for external audiences in order to promote improved understanding of IDA overall – or a specific IDA research group or capability – to target audiences of interest.
- Ensure consistency of expression, logical organization and development, readability, appropriate formatting, and conformity to grammar and appropriate style across all products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline (STEM) coupled with 5+ years experience as a technical writer in a product or service industry.
- Experience with writing and editing complex documents, conflict resolution techniques, and meeting tight deadlines in a timely and accurate manner.
- Experience synthesizing information across a wide span of disciplines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Candidates selected will be subject to a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information as required.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.