OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY SPECIALIST
Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in technical engineering/science discipline, or related field, and 5 years of experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
- Experience with custodial operations including use of cleaning equipment and chemicals and applicability of bloodborne pathogen standards.
- Experience with facility and maintenance worker operations, common safety issues and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to understand and apply federal and state regulations (Occupation Safety and Health Administration/Virginia Occupational Safety and Health) concerning occupational safety and fire code (Virginia Fire Prevention Code).
- Working knowledge of instructional laboratory environments and familiarity with chemical hygiene plans and biosafety manuals. Experience with laboratory safety equipment (fume hoods, biological safety cabinets, eye wash stations, safety showers)
- Must be comfortable working closely with consultants, regulatory agencies, contractors
- Experience working in an educational environment with school administrators, faculty and staff.
- Ability to work closely with consultants, regulatory agencies, and contractors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, drive and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 40 pounds. May be exposed to extreme temperatures and uneven terrain.
The Environmental Specialist reports to the Environmental, Safety and Occupational Health Coordinator.JOB DESCRIPTION:
This position supports Loudoun County Public Schools efforts to address issues related to worker safety and regulatory compliance. Loudoun County Public Schools has 89 schools and 8 support facilities. The Occupational Safety Specialist will assist in managing compliance with regulatory requirements in a diverse number of environments, to include equipment and facility maintenance shops, administrative offices, commercial kitchens, instructional classrooms (including vocational and theater arts,) educational laboratories, and athletic facilities.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in identifying training needs, developing a training matrix, and developing appropriate safety training.
- Conduct job hazard analysis.
- Conduct facility safety audits identifying potential occupational health and safety hazards.
- Participate in incident investigations, root cause analysis and action item completion/follow-up.
- Assist in developing occupational safety programs, policies, and procedures.
- Periodically review all programs.
- Assist in providing content for specific occupational safety/lab safety programs and conduct training as necessary.
- Monitor and assist with safety initiatives.
JOBS CLOSE AT 12:00 PM ON THE CLOSING DATE.APPLY TO:
Department of Human Resources and Talent DevelopmentSALARY:
Classified Position, Level 16
Salary Range: Refer to
12 Month Position, 8 hours per dayDAYS: FROM - TO -