Grant Writer & Coordinator
Working under the direction of the Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, the Grant Writer is primarily responsible for prospecting funding opportunities and writing grant proposals to compellingly communicate Northern Virginia Family Service’s mission and programs to potential funders. The Grant Writer develops and writes grant proposals, including assembling grant requests for timely submission, and works collaboratively with Agency staff.
Essential Job Duties:
- Research, identify, and manage prospective funding opportunities from corporate, community, and private foundations, understanding and identifying alignment between prospective funders and internal funding needs by service area.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership, Program Directors, and the Corporate and Foundation Relations team to review funding opportunities and deadlines and discuss funding needs and program alignment with funding opportunities.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate and Foundation Relations team and designated Program Director(s) to develop, write, compile, and submit grant proposals to corporate, community, and private foundations in a timely and efficient manner.
- Grant Writer may be responsible for any of the following application components: letters of intent, full proposal narratives, budgets, various attachments, and other requirements as specified by the funder.
- Provides editing services as needed to ensure that application and reporting documents accurately and thoroughly reflect the specified service area, program, and agency.
- Successfully communicate Agency and program goals, activities, outcomes, and impact to prospective funders by:
- Actively engaging in internal program planning and development conversations around funding needs; and,
- Researching and analyzing regional community needs data.
- Oversee the management of corporate and foundation grant application and reporting deadlines for assigned service areas.
- Maintain Program Funding Workbooks, to include funding goals and funding achievements-to-date over the course of the fiscal year, for assigned service areas. Grant Writer will meet annually with program staff and Corporate and Foundation Relations team to help set annual goals and create tracking documentation to be utilized over the course of the fiscal year.
- Maintain electronic filing system on SharePoint to ensure all elements of grant and contract files and properly labeled, stored, and accounted for. Works with the IT Department as necessary to ensure system accessibility for appropriate agency personnel.
- Utilize Raiser’s Edge database in accordance with NVFS and Development Team guidelines, to thoroughly track grant applications and funder relationship details.
- Act as a liaison for contract requirements that pertain to communications and reporting requirements of community, corporate, and private grant awards.
- Assist Grants Team with tasks or special projects as needs arise, which may include conducting prospect research for new funding opportunities that align with the Agency’s mission and program goals.
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Nonprofit Studies or related field required
- At least three years of grant writing experience preferred
- Excellent writing, editing, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple Agency divisions with diverse staff at all levels to successfully garner information
- Proven ability to research, analyze and systematically compile information from a variety of sources in an organized, cohesive manner with particular attention to detail
- Proficiency in various foundation database search tools
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet multiple deadlines and display strong organizational capability
- Ability to interpret federal, state, and local government laws and regulations in relation to grant requirements
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours
- Successful completion of background checks is required upon hire
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of a person so classified.
Northern Virginia Family Service is a private, non-profit human service organization with a $37 million annual budget, 450+ employees, 4,500+ volunteers, and offices located throughout Northern Virginia. Serving nearly 35,000 children and families, our programs encompass core service areas that empower local families to improve their quality of life: housing and emergency services; health and mental health services; early childhood education and child placement services; intervention and prevention programs; job training; and legal services. Northern Virginia Family Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant.
This is a full time, benefited position located in Oakton, VA.
***Please submit a cover letter, resume and one sample of a grant you have written (preferably, a grant written to a corporate, community or private foundation – the name doesn’t have to be disclosed).***
Apply for Grant Writer & Coordinator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly