Graduation from high school and experience in school bus operations; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
- Experience in pupil transportation, personnel management, or school fleet maintenance and management.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Virginia Commercial Driver’s License with school bus endorsement (required).
The Area Supervisor reports to the Transportation Supervisor.JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Area Supervisor manages one or more operational programs in the Transportation Department. This position is tasked with ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of school children in an operational program or programs, such as regional daily operations, special needs, pupil safety, or dispatch office. This position also supervises lead drivers, provides employee training, and oversees other programs as needed.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages day-to-day pupil transportation programs, as assigned.
- Observes and evaluates performance of bus drivers and attendants.
- Develops bus routes and familiarizes drivers with new or revised routes and monitors routes for safety and efficiency.
- Instructs bus drivers regarding student disciplinary management and safety procedures related to the transportation of school children including the use of safety devices, approaching stops, loading and unloading, and the use of emergency equipment.
- Instructs drivers in the operation of the vehicle, including shifting of gears, turning movements, backing up, braking and use of mirrors.
- Prepares instructional lesson plans for driver training.
- Substitutes for bus drivers when needed and performs related work as directed.
JOBS CLOSE AT 12:00 PM ON THE CLOSING DATE.APPLY TO:
Department of Human Resources and Talent DevelopmentSALARY:
Classified Position, Level 15
Salary Range: Refer to
12 Month Position, 8 hours per dayDAYS: FROM - TO -