Contract Science Writer
The American Society for Microbiology (ASM), headquartered in Washington DC, is seeking a part-time Contract Science Writer in the Member Engagement and Innovation Department. The Staff Writer is responsible for composing microbiology-focused articles and blog posts of varying length and complexity on a frequent basis. This includes interviewing sources, completing revisions after copy editing, gathering images to accompany articles, and posting articles to online platforms.
The Staff Writer will be expected to generate article ideas and develop other stories that are assigned by the Managing Editors. In addition, the Staff Writer will help with production duties: notifying sources when articles are posted, submitting weekly updates for the site, and assisting the Managing Editors with other tasks that arise.
The ideal candidate for this job will be a quick learner, efficient time manager, and an excellent science communicator/writer. He or she will be able to meet regular deadlines, complete tasks with minimal supervision, and write engaging copy for a variety of audiences.
- Editorial Production: Preparing articles in templates; gathering photos, other images, and/or videos to accompany articles; notifying sources when articles are published; assisting the Managing Editor with web updates and corrections.
- Article Development: Cultivating and developing story ideas with ASM staff, Managing Editors, and expert volunteers. The writer will be responsible for finding research to support each article and to provide related resources for readers.
- Assisting other writers and content creators where needed.
- At least 3-5 years of science writing and communication experience required; bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, plus demonstrated experience in Journalism or Communications preferred.
- Experience writing on biology-related topics required; ability to tailor writing for various audiences, including health professionals, scientists of various fields, and the lay public.
- Editorial skills in web writing, editing, interviewing, fact-checking/source verification, and strategic communications. The ability to write snappy headlines and teasers are a plus.
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics, WordPress and Google Webmaster tools.
- An understanding of how Google’s algorithm ranks its pages.
- Ability to work effectively with other people at many levels of authority and in a diverse professional environment.
- Strong attention to detail, and time management and planning skills.
Please submit salary requirements, cover letter, and resume to: ASM, Attn: HR, 1752 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20036 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.