IP Patent Support Specialist (US & Foreign)
Come and shine with the stars of LeClairRyan! Since its inception, LeClairRyan has grown exponentially and is now home to over 340 attorneys with offices in 16 states and the District of Columbia. LeClairRyan is currently seeking a IP Patent Support Specialist who will contribute to overall success and help secure the bright future of the Firm.
LeClairRyan is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Our Alexandria, Virginia office is located at 2318 Mill Road near historic Old Town Alexandria and conveniently located near the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) and across the street from the Alexandria Division of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (“EDVA”), popularly known as the “Rocket Docket” for having the fastest time to trial of any court in the country! A benefit of our great location is easy access to public transportation as the Eisenhower Metro Station is 2 blocks away and the King Street Metro Station and Amtrak/VRE Station is a 10 minute walk or very short cab ride from the building. This office location, established in 2010, is home to approximately 30 attorneys whose practice areas range from Intellectual Property and Technology, white collar, business litigation, employment litigation and consumer financial services litigation.
The IP Patent Support Specialist will provide support to clients, attorneys, professional specialists, filing specialists (US and foreign), and patent prosecution assistants within the Patent Team. This includes supporting members of the team who are located in other offices.
Responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists with preparing and electronically filing various documents with the USPTO.
- Assists with preparing and filing foreign patent applications worldwide, including EPC, PCT and National non-convention cases.
- Assists with preparing a variety of routine correspondence such as client reporting letters, reminders, reports and other patent-specific documents required by attorneys and professional specialists.
- Assists with preparing and forwarding order letters to foreign counsel regarding the filing of patent applications in various countries and assures that all necessary documentation is received by foreign counsel in a timely manner.
- Assists with certification/legalization of formal legal documents.
- Orders formal drawings and certified copies from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Performs clerical duties necessary to complete the foreign filing process and maintenance of foreign files through grant.
- Responds to inquiries from clients, attorneys and other firm personnel.
- Utilize cost estimation software to provide clients with projections for various filing alternatives.
- Records billable and non-billable hours worked in the firms time entry database.
- Performs other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the skills and abilities required:
- At least 3 years U.S. and/or foreign patent-related experience required.
- Knowledge of patent prosecution procedures and law firm experience is a plus.
- Aptitude to learn specific procedures and processes relating to the Intellectual Property field in general and foreign patent law in particular
- Develop and maintain knowledge of 37 C.F.R. and MPEP and e-filing for the USPTO/PCT, foreign filing requirements, tax laws, renewal data and expiration data.
- Proficiency in popular Windows-based software applications including Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel; document management systems; and automated docketing systems.
- Excellent organizational and general administrative skills necessary.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- The individual must possess attention to detail.
- Client driven team player with strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and competing demands.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team interacting with all levels of Firm personnel.
- Able to lift up to a maximum of 40 pounds.
- Able to operate general office equipment such as reprographics equipment, calculators, and printers.
LeClairRyan does not accept unsolicited resume submissions from contracted or non-contracted agencies. LeClairRyan is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.