Located in Westminster, Maryland, Knorr Brake Company (KBC) is a manufacturer of Braking, Door, and HVAC systems for the Mass Transit Rail Industry. KBC is division of Knorr-Bremse, AG a Munich Germany based global leader in the design and manufacture of Brakes, Doors, HVAC, and on-Board OEM systems, aftermarket spare parts, overhaul & maintenance services for the Mass Transit Rail. We are currently seeking a System Engineer to join the Brake division engineering team.
The Brake System Engineer is responsible for the execution of the design and development of pneumatic and/or hydraulic brake systems, track brakes and controls for passenger rail transit vehicles. The System Engineers are assigned the title of Project Engineer for the projects they are responsible for effecting.
The primary objectives of this position are to develop the braking systems on-time, within the approved budget, and specification compliant while achieving a high level of customer satisfaction and minimizing or mitigating risks.
The Project Engineer is the primary technical contact with the customer and is responsible for the system design, including system calculations, integration, testing, commissioning and customer training. They ensure the progress of the detail design development meets the project requirements, whilst ensuring specification compliance, or waivers are approved.
The major responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Identify component level tasks and responsibilities, and guide/direct/monitor individuals as necessary
- Review customer specifications
- Perform system performance calculations
- Prepare technical proposals
- Develop system specifications
- Develop system schematics (piping & wiring interfaces) and keep updated.
- Monitor/assure specifications compliance
- Provide customer “feedback” to design engineers and marketing
- Provide engineering task schedule input to Project management
- Review and Approve Customer Manuals and Training Materials produced by the Engineering Services Department.
- Create system bill of materials, keep update, and provide costing estimates per system bill of materials
- Development of component specifications/requirement
Broad experience and good theoretical knowledge of engineering principals:
- Physics (brake calculations, air consumption calculations, thermal calculations, etc. based on Knorr models)
- Fluid dynamics
- strength of materials
- Proficient in machine design and manufacturing practices
- Value engineering
- Reliability, maintainability, safety and human factors
- Electrical / electronics
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 3+ years experience
- Must be able to travel on short notice and sometimes for several weeks at a time (normally travel should be 20% or less). Senior level positions demand erratic periods of “unscheduled” travel, such as: 1-15 days/week for 1-3 week periods. Position will require international travel.