Reservations & Group Sales Manager
Reservations & Group Sales Manager
Smithsonian Enterprises (SE), a division of the Smithsonian Institution, is currently seeking an talented and dynamic Reservations and Group Sales Manager to provide leadership and direction for the sales and operational management of the Reservation & Group Sales Center generating sales on behalf of Theaters and Dining operating units. Brings creativity to product/services development and all sales efforts. Sets annual sales goals and accomplishes those goals. Responsible for budgeted sales revenue of the Reservation & Group Sales Center. Motivates team and develops team’s skills to maximize sales and provide excellent customer service to tour operators, educators, tourists and other organizations who are visiting Washington, DC and the Smithsonian. Reports to the General Manager, Retail Marketing
- Along with supervisor sets annual sales goals. Assist in creating annual budgets and action plans to achieve sales goals and increase volume of sales and margins on products year over year.
- Create, plan and implement new programs, pricing and customer benefits. Make revisions to current offerings to improve relevancy and attractiveness to customers.
- Actively pitch theaters, dining and ride simulators offerings including cold call leads, and cultivate current and lapsed customers. Grow revenue from existing customers.
- Direct the operation of the Call Center to provide exceptional and efficient customer service.
- Regularly review and track weekly activities (e.g. call center stats) and fiscal monthly sales. Publish monthly sales reports.
- Hires members of the Reservations & Group Sales staff, with the final approval of the General Manager of Marketing.
- Makes persuasive sales presentations to leads and customers, and internal event organizers within Smithsonian. Activities may include; sales calls and presentations to the travel, trade, and tour operators, attending industry networking events, participating in commercial trade shows, conducting promotions, direct marketing activities, hosting incoming travel trade familiarization trips and participating in special events such as SI Teacher’s Nights, etc.
- Supervise group dinners in museum restaurants, after business hours. Escort groups out of museum facility and past security checkpoints. Make sales pitches at teacher’s nights and group events in the theaters, typically in the evenings and some Saturdays and Sundays, and occasionally on holidays.
- Represent Smithsonian at national and international tradeshows.
- Work directly and collaboratively with museum administration, education departments and Visitor Services staff to promote communication and coordinate group services.
- Update, revise and implement Reservations & Group Sales training materials and programs. Ensure that staff is properly trained on selling techniques, phone etiquette, customer service, data security, and that staff strictly follow museum protocol/policies/procedures.
- Organize and conduct regular meetings to communicate business objectives, policies and industry trends. Review the successes/shortfalls of initiatives, and develop future action plans based on those findings.
- Work with General Manager, Marketing to develop and implement strategies to drive sales. Also to determine requirements for collateral materials (mailers, complimentary passes, email newsletters, gift certificates, bulk tickets, on screen advertising, web sites, etc.), and ensure placement/distribution as required for maximum return. Collaborate with marketing department to assure all public facing information is accurate, up to date and effective.
- Engage dining and theater partners to regularly review visitor experiences, identify challenges, and find solutions.
- Work with Ticketing Systems Administrator to list product descriptions/details/pricing in the reservation system.
- Program and maintenance of the center’s automated phone system “VoIP Call Center” including automated attendant maintenance and call volume reporting and monitoring
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university and a minimum of five to seven (5-7) years related experience in the Tourism industry including marketing and outbound telephone sales experience.
- Knowledge of advertising techniques, channels and messages for the tourism industry. Able to create sales materials and presentations.
- Experience in successfully selling integrated products.
- Prior reservations or booking system experience preferred. ProVenue for Tickets.com
- Work experience selling dining, performances, educational sessions and tourist experiences to a wide variety of groups (esp. educators), including tour operators and groups.
- Must have supervisory/management experience and proven leadership skills with a diverse staff.
- Have excellent verbal communication skills. Speak comfortably and knowledgably in public.
- Have excellent written communication skills. Experience writing sales copy, training instructions, interdepartmental memos.
- Ability to represent Smithsonian’s high standards and commitment to visitor service.
- Knowledge of standard sales reporting.
- Ability to analyze sales data, revenue streams and call center metrics.
- Working knowledge of the Financial Budgeting process along with accounts payable and receivables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat
- Flexible work schedule to include certain evening or weekend group sales events.
To apply, please send resume with cover letter, including salary requirements, to: SERetailjobs@si.edu. Please include job title in the subject line. Application materials sent without salary information will not be considered.
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Selectee will be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
Health, Dental & Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Transit/Commuter Benefits, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Annual and Sick Leave, Family Friendly Leave, 403b Retirement Plan, Discounts for Smithsonian Memberships, Museum Stores and Restaurants, Credit Union, Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center (Child Care), Flexible Spending Account (Health & Dependent Care)
Salary Commensurate with experience
This is not a federal service position. Relocation expenses are not paid.
Apply for Reservations & Group Sales Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly