Office of Human Resources
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 2.4
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Benefits Analyst in the Office of Human Resources. Reporting to the Senior Human Resources Analyst. The Benefits Analyst is responsible for providing functional support to the Benefits team by ensuring all applicable stateside and overseas benefits and absence policies, programs, and processes are configured into Workday. This position will support integrations, research and resolve all data issues, and serve as a liaison between the Benefits team and technical team. Recommends, develops and maintains training materials for Workday benefit and absence administration, as well as employee self-service with minimal supervision. This position will also be responsible for researching and implementing new benefit initiatives, improving holistic Workday system through collaboration with internal partners, conducting gap analysis of existing processes, and seeking continuous improvement of functionality. Occasional travel between local UMUC locations may be required.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Support day- to-day global benefit team administration of health, retirement and absence management through ongoing review of system configuration, investigating of system issues, performs data audits, and provides integration support.
- Act as SME to technical team for configuration, enhancements, system upgrades, and issues as it relates to Benefits and Absence, partnering with other HR units, Payroll, and IT as appropriate to meet deadlines and to support the Workday solution for UMUC.
- Facilitates the implementation, testing, and troubleshooting of data feeds to and from external or internal systems, collaborating with technical resources, as well as external vendors as it relates to Benefits and Absence.
- Under supervision of manager, lead efforts to design, test and implement system configuration in collaboration with technical resources as required to meet benefits/absence business requirements, enhance existing design, or resolve identified issues across all UMUC divisions.
- Create and execute formal test plans, document issues discovered, and partner with technical resources through resolution.
- Partner with internal and external partners to review, analyze, reconcile and resolve data issues including troubleshooting file export and/or import errors.
- Identifies and researches participant issues and/or system defects with minimal supervision. Analyzes issues and looks for patterns to determine if issues are participant specific, global/systematic, process or training related.
- Develop and maintain benefit & absence operational processes and procedures, as well as job aids and other training materials for employees and managers for Workday Benefits and Absence modules.
- Identify common user issues and patterns of errors, and make appropriate adjustment to training materials and communications.
- Routinely conduct needs assessments of business requirements and issues. Helps translates non-technical business needs into technical requirements, actively seeking process improvements and mechanisms to reduce or eliminate manual processes for benefits administration and the end user.
- Identify potential impacts of new systems, processes, operational policies, changes, to existing benefits & absence design, acting as SME to ensure implementation is completed while maintaining operational reliability for benefits & absence administration.
- Maintain regular communication between benefits & absence operational team and technical team, to keep all parties apprised of pertinent information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Demonstrated experience recommending, independently leading and/or implementing a benefit program, and also demonstrated experience developing benefits communications or outreach campaigns.
- Demonstrated initiative and emerging leadership qualities with minimal supervision
- Ability to accurately interpret a variety of procedures and policies under limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze data and transactional processing flows in order to identify trends and improve data related processes.
- Ability to effectively plan, set priorities, and manage several complex projects simultaneously while meeting strict deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of benefit plans to include plan policies, provisions, enrollment and eligibility rules.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including but not limited to: HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, FLSA, ADA, SECTION 125, Workers Compensation, and ACA.
- General understanding of basic HRIS functions and processes
- Ability to handle issues involving sensitivity, confidentiality and legal exposure, and process confidential information with the utmost judgment and discretion.
- Ability to balance urgency and decisiveness with patience and compassion.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Ability to coordinate query set-up and reporting needs with HRIS.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least five (5) years of employee benefits administration experience, preferably with state or federal agency.
- One to two (1 to 2) years of HRIS or HCM Workday experience highly desirable.
PHR / SPHR and CEBS certifications
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.