Senior Director of Research Services - Main Campus
7 days left
- Full Time
Senior Director of Research Services - Main Campus
About the Office of Research Services
Georgetown's Office of Research Services (ORS) provides administrative support to Main Campus faculty as part of the University's drive to become a world class research institution, attracting significant levels of external support and conducting research of the highest caliber. The goal of ORS is to allow faculty members to focus on research, and to relieve them of many of the administrative burdens of securing and executing grants. ORS adopts a pro-active mentality, anticipates faculty needs over the grant cycle, and delivers services of the highest quality.
ORS offers assistance in proposal development, and provides a full and comprehensive range of grant and contract management, compliance, and reporting services. ORS also liaises with other Georgetown University administrative units that play an integral role in external grant administration, such as the Office of Sponsored Accounting, the Main Campus Finance Office, the Tax Department, the Office of the General Counsel, and the Office of Regulatory Affairs.
Senior Director of Research Services
The University is seeking a dynamic individual who can engage at the highest levels to craft and execute policies, while supervising and motivating a team of research administrators to provide unparalleled service.
The Senior Director of Research Services reports to the Vice Provost for Research, who serves a rotating three-year term. The Senior Director thus develops the long-term institutional knowledge and capacity to work with successive Vice Provosts in the University's bid to significantly increase and sustain the volume and quality of funded research. S/he will play two primary roles: (i) management of all operations of the Office of Research Services; and (ii) implementation of research initiatives as developed in consultation with the Vice Provost for Research.
Management of ORS
The successful candidate will create a work environment in which ORS expeditiously provides high quality services to its clients, the university's research community. The Senior Director of Research Services:
- Works with senior members of the administration to development new policies in pursuit of the University's strategic research goals and objectives.
- Liaises with Deans, Department Chairs, and Center and Institute Directors to better understand the needs of the research community.
- Serves as the Senior Business Manager for ORS.
- Identifies, hires, trains, and supervises staff, creating a professional and client-responsive approach to service delivery.
- Tracks staff performance metrics for use in annual salary adjustments.
- Identifies staff professional development opportunities.
- Maintains comprehensive records of all sponsored research activities.
- Ensures all research is conducted in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Liaises with Georgetown's IRB to help faculty efficiently and fully comply with protection of human subjects regulations.
- Represents the Vice Provost and the Office of Research Services as needed on Task Forces, Ad Hoc Committees, and at Deans' and administrative leadership meetings.
- Oversees process of announcing and administering research funding opportunities across university communities.
Implementation of Research Initiatives
As a Carnegie R1 (Research Intensive) University, we strive to significantly expanding the volume and quality of research at Georgetown with new initiatives, both on the Main Campus, and in collaboration with the Medical School and the Law School. To assist the Vice Provost for Research in executing these initiatives, the Senior Director of Research Services:
- Constitutes task forces and committees, develops supporting materials, and helps drive initiatives forward.
- Supervises the development and maintenance of a comprehensive database of funded Main Campus research, compatible with similar databases in the Medical and Law Schools.
- Benchmarks research activity levels on campus against other universities.
- Documents research infrastructure assets and gaps (e.g., equipment, facilities, etc.).
- Serves on University committees and task forces as directed by the Vice Provost for Research.
- Represents the University at relevant professional meetings, leadership meetings, forums and conferences.
- Oversees dissemination of funding opportunities to faculty.
- A Master's degree or equivalent qualification
- A Certificate of Research Administration (preferred, but not essential)
- At least 5 years' experience in:
- Federal Government (NSF, US DoE, HHS, NEA, NEH, and NIH), Foundation (e.g., Rockefeller, MacArthur, Ford, Gates, etc.), and other grants management,
- financial management,
- regulatory compliance, and
- staff supervision
- Strong leadership, writing, and communication skills, and an entrepreneurial, results-focused mindset
- Active membership in relevant professional organizations
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.