Publications Business Information Analyst
The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics is seeking a Publications Business Information Analyst who will provide publications systems, processes, and business intelligence support to the Director of Publications and Manager of Publications Operations and Web Publishing. This support will include, but not be limited to tracking, compiling and analyzing data to produce regular and ad hoc reports to benefit internal and external processes and stakeholders. This individual will also support distributor agreements and author contract terms and provide marketing and sales communications and logistics support to external stakeholders and vendors.
- Manage processes and royalties/fees received for translations and other subsidiary rights, reprints and permissions, and third-party content distributors, including but not limited to:
- Creating and managing a translation rights database
- Working with Accounting to invoice and track royalties owed on translations
- Responding to and assessing fees for CCC permission requests that require manager approval
- Tracking payments received from British Library, Curran, and other reprinting services
- Supporting agreements with online e-book distributors/resellers, Amazon for Kindle, and other e-book formats, as appropriate
- Tracking and analyzing publication charges and open access charges
- Working with Accounting to ensure that all associated revenues are received and allocated properly
- Create, update, manage, and distribute electronic content and/or metadata files to third party partners/vendors, including but not limited to:
- Ebsco Discovery Service
- ExLibris Discovery Services
- ONIX compliant databases
- WorldCat databases
- Copyright Clearance Center
- Ebook resellers (ebrary, Knovel, Books 24X7, etc.)
- Library of Congress
- Support product development and coordinate implementation of product sales and discounts, including but not limited to:
- Individual and package products for e-products in the association management system
- Updating product pricing and inventory status in the association management and inventory tracking systems (e.g. CATS)
- Work with marketing to track and report on sales and subscriptions of promotions and new initiatives
- Serve as sales information contact for institutional customers and distributors for advanced production information (including but not limited to resellers and distribution agencies).
- Collect data and prepare reports for publications-related products and services, including but not limited to:
- Monthly subscription sales entry into association management system
- Monthly key indicators for books/e-books, journals, meeting papers, and archive products
- Quarterly sales reports for commission payments to sales agents
- Monthly circulation reports for journals
- Monthly ebook sales from third party vendors (e.g. Kindle, Google Play, etc.)
- Periodic reports on royalties from subsidiary rights and reprinting fees
- Other reports from internal and third-party databases and systems, as needed
- Manage and improve the book royalty process, including but not limited to:
- Managing author-specific commissions and contract terms
- Requesting and tracking required tax forms and information for Accounting to set up new author payments
- Setting up contract terms in the inventory management royalty database for all print (inventory) items that receive royalties, and submitting contract updates as required
- Creating a new process to set up contract terms in the royalty database for individual and package e-book (non-inventory) items that are owed royalties going forward, and calculate and pay back payments owed to authors
- Calculating royalties owed to authors based on subsidiary revenue received from book translations, third-party electronic distributors, and Kindle and other e-book format sales, and uploading data to the royalty database
- Reviewing semi-annual royalty statements to ensure accuracy in reporting and to submit updates for minor record clean-up as needed
- Preparing and submitting royalty data to Accounting for payment, and mailing reports and payments to authors
- Tracking down lost authors (moved/deceased), updating address/royalty recipient changes in the royalty database, and submitting updated information to Accounting
- Master various internal and external system databases to develop reports, analyze data, and monitor progress of marketing/sales plans and other publications initiatives.
- Participate in team projects and meetings.
- Support Director of Publications and managers in various facets of product development, analysis, content and metadata delivery, and external stakeholder support.
- Work with Products & Programs Division members and other staff as appropriate.
- Communicate with authors, distributors, vendors, and staff.
- Keep all relevant AIAA teams apprised of program efforts and status.
- Moderate travel (e.g., 1 week, 2–3 times/year)
- Reports to Director, Publications
- Three to four years of relevant experience required working with relational databases and content management systems.
- Three to four years of relevant experience analyzing data and creating complex reports.
- Familiarity with financial aspects of royalty processing and rights and permissions systems and general interest in Publications preferred.
- B.S or B.A. required; database management, business, or related fields preferred.
- Superior communication and customer-service skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as cooperatively within teams
- Exceptional aptitude for working with a range of content management systems and databases, and proficiency in Excel
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to interpret and present data in a meaningful way
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
To apply, email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Why Work at AIAA?
Make a real difference in the aerospace industry! Assist us in positioning aerospace for its exciting future while celebrating the industry’s pioneering accomplishments. As an AIAA employee, you will enjoy competitive compensation and benefits including:
- 37.5-hr work week
- 11 holidays + vacation and sick leave
- Great location off the Dulles Toll Road near the new Reston Silver Line Metro
- Awarded ‘Best Workplaces for Commuters’ by Fairfax County Transit Authority and the National Center for Transit Research
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance with low co-pays
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with generous match
- Group Term Life insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Educational assistance
- Health club and Weight Watchers subsidy
AIAA is the largest aerospace professional society in the world, serving an innovative, high-value workforce that helps make the world safer, more connected, more accessible, and more prosperous. We represent a profession whose great work has produced everything from the brilliant innovations that affect daily living to the major missions that fuel our collective human drive to explore and to accomplish amazing things.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
12700 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 200
Reston, VA 20191