The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking a Network Administrator. This position plays an integral role in The Chronicle’s network and cloud infrastructure.
The Network Administrator is responsible for maintaining all network and server infrastructure at The Chronicle. This primarily includes security, servers, firewalls, routers, cloud instances and other important project-based work. The position will work with the operations team to identify and implement infrastructure solutions that meet our current and future needs. System uptime is critical so the Network Administrator must be exceptional at diagnosing and solving problems quickly, knowing how to leverage teammates and vendors. The Administrator must frequently anticipate problems and continue to analyze ways to mitigate risk. This position should be able to effectively communicate business significance and organizational impact of advanced technical and non-technical information. The Administrator will be able to affect change within its sphere of influence and lead to the development of innovative improvements.
While this role focuses primarily on networks and internal servers, there will be ample opportunity to learn and manage cloud/AWS infrastructure, develops practices, etc.
- Setup, monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot data replication process between The Chronicle’s DC and cloud instances.
- Build and deploy Windows and Linux physical and virtual servers using industry best practices.
- Maintain, administer and diagnose hardware and software across the network and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Acquire and install upgrades, updates, patches, and service packs, minimizing impact and downtime.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Monitor security, usage and performance logs, identify problems, and recommend and implement solutions.
- Conduct work during non-standard business hours as needed to support The Chronicle’s production and work schedule. Participation in an on-call weekend rotation is also required.
- Serve as a Tier 3 escalation point.
- Experience with Cloud-based services including Amazon Web Services preferred.
- Experience with Windows 2003/2008/2012 Server utilizing VMware, Terminal Services, and Citrix Metaframe in an Active Directory environment.
- General knowledge of Linux, UNIX, and/or Apple OS X operating systems.
- Expertise to configure and maintain Cisco switches, routers, and firewalls.
- Experience with Oracle, SQL and MySQL preferred.
- Knowledge of and adherence to PCI DSS procedures.
- Creative thinker with the ability to then execute efficiently.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills to work effectively with staff and vendors.
- Ability to work as part of a tight team which results in team, not individual successes.
- Effective verbal and written skills and the ability to write and speak regarding technical issues for non-technical users.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience required. A MCSA or MCSE certification preferred.
- 3+ year’s work experience supporting a 200+ user, multi-server, multi-platform LAN/WAN environment.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Network Administrator” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive and our benefits are among the best in the business, including 24 days of paid vacation.
Apply for Network Administrator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly