The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
This is a Direct Hire Public Notice, under this recruitment procedure applications will be accepted for each location/ installation identified in this Public Notice and selections are made for vacancies as they occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application.
These positions are being filled under Expedited Hiring Authority (EHA) for Defense Acquisition Workforce Positions and Health Care Occupations. The Secretary of the Air Force has delegated authority by the Office Of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint individuals to select defense acquisition workforce positions, or 'EHA Acquisition,' pursuant to the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and certain health care occupations, or 'EHA Medical.' Positions are located Air Force-Wide. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location.
This Public Notice is to gather applications which may or may not result in a referral or selection.
This Public Notice may be used to fill positions in other equivalent pay systems (i.e., NH, NJ, NK).
Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Basic Requirements: All applicants must meet the following basic requirements for all grade levels:
Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
Education and Experience Requirements: Applicants who meet the above basic requirements may qualify for the following grade levels if they meet the educational and/or specialized experience requirements described below.
GS-11: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements qualify for positions at this grade level: one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level or greater (or equivalent in other pay systems), which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples of such specialized experience include: provide a full scope of Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine services and assist patients with rang of sleep disorders and managing their follow-up care; independently assesses acute and non-acute clinical problems; performs and documents physical assessments and patient histories, and analyzes trends in patient conditions; provide health care and preventative services to individuals, including guidance on nutrition, common illnesses, accidents, child growth and development, and child rearing; evaluate total health care needs of patients and develop treatment plans to meet those needs. PhD or equivalent doctoral degree in a related health field and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Examples of related doctoral degree programs include, but are not limited to, public health; allied health field; public health education; or other related health science.
GS-12: A minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service (or equivalent in other pay systems), which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position; AND have graduated from an accredited physician assistant educational program as described above. Specialized experience include: performing work in support of a physician by providing diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services under the guidance of the physician. My experience required knowledge of specific observation and examination procedures and the ability to perform diagnostic and therapeutic tasks (including assisting in the examination and observation of patients by performing such duties as: taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during hospital rounds and clinic visits).
GS-13: A minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service (or equivalent in other pay systems), which has equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position; AND have graduated from an accredited physician assistant educational program as described above. Specialized experience include: providing comprehensive outpatient medical care to a broad cross section of patients with common and complex, acute and chronic disease; to include deployment related medical conditions. Orders and interprets diagnostic and testing procedures to include laboratory and radiological examinations. Independently and in consultation with named consulting physician formulates full treatment and management regiment based on sound diagnoses consistent with current and /or evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of a full range of physician assistant principals, practices and procedures to appropriately diagnose and treat common medical problems.
2. Knowledge of pharmaceuticals, their indications, interactions, contradictions and effects.
3. Skill in taking detailed medical histories and conducting physical examinations.
4. Ability to use specialized medical equipment such as electrocardiograms, hyfracaters, peak flow meters and
5. Liquid nitrogen for cryosurgical procedures.
6. Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- Position may require an appropriate security clearance
- Position may require a Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification.
- Provide diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services under the guidance of the physician.
- Manage common medical problems encountered in a medical facility. Performs would care debridement and suture placement/removal of minor lacerations.
- May be required to provide some sub-specialty services with current granted privileges. May perform ambulatory medical and surgical procedures per granted privileges.
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests, independently formulate full treatment and management regimens based on sound diagnosis.
- Perform physical examinations, collect and record history of present illness and all pertinent review of systems and orders laboratory and radiographic studies for the working diagnosis.
- This series covers positions that involve assisting a physician by providing diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services under the guidance of the physician. The work requires knowledge of specific observation and examination procedures, and the ability to perform diagnostic and therapeutic tasks. The work does not include the full scope of interpretation of medical findings requiring the full professional background of the licensed physician. Physician assistants assist in teh examination and observation of patients by performing such duties as taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during hospital rounds and clinic visits. As directed by a physician, physician assistants carry out special procedures; for example, they give injections or other medication, apply or change dressings, perform lumbar punctures or suture minor lacerations.
This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies
Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level.
This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-11 Target GS-13).
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.