Network and Systems Architect (OneWeb)
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Vets and Disabled
No. Vacancies: 1.00
Department: 17125.Innovation & Service Architecture
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: Less than 20%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 10 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers to fill this role and continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
The Network and Systems Architect will be responsible for providing expert level design and architectural solutions taking into account appropriate redundancy, availability scalability, security, manageability and business requirements needed for developing complex solutions in the area of Satellite, Wide Area Networks, Maritime & Aero Mobility Services, and other strategic verticals that product deems as high priority. By collaborating directly with Intelsat commercial teams, this person will participate in the product development lifecycle to include ideation, detailed requirements analysis, design recommendations, validation, and hand off to Engineering and Operational teams for low level engineering, deployment and support.
You must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities to be considered for the role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, with at least ten (10) years of relevant experience in IP network architecture and design (not operations) in an ISP environment, including at least five (5) years of relevant experience in IP-based Broadband design, implementation and support (Satellite, DSL, DOCSIS or 3GPP).
- Expert-level knowledge of routing, including but not limited to: M/BGP, MPLS (traffic engineering, L2/L3 VPN), ISIS, OSPF/OSPFv3, RSVP, LDP, EIGRP, IGRP, RIP-1/2, MSDP, PIM-DM/SM, in routing and WCCP.
- Work experience must encompass expert knowledge of switching, including but not limited to: CGMP, IGMP, 802.XX, Gigabit Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Vlan/Trunking (802.1q And ISL), Etherchannel, Wireless, Spanning Tree (STP), HSRP, VRRP, TRILL, CLOS.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in wide range of technologies including router, multiplexer and switch design and architecture as well as transport, routing and signaling protocols including but not limited to DWDM, SONET, Cable (DOCSIS), Terrestrial/Satellite Leased line, 3GPP/EPC Framework and WiFi.
- Well-developed knowledge and experience understanding industry best practices on network architecture and engineering and experience in robust network, product/service and system design and implementation strategies.
- Understanding in ancillary technologies used to support network backbones such as management and metric gathering tools (SNMP, Netflow), packet capturing tools, and automation tools.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a central networking professional responsible for design and planning of next generation IP network in an ISP or Mobile operator environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership and ongoing high-level operational support.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain procedures/processes required to ensure network optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-level support for internal engineering needs and projects.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize and enhance existing monitoring infrastructure to address current/emerging growth and redundancy needs.
- Demonstrated ability to provide mentoring and guidance to less senior network engineers to raise functional technical in-house expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to provide written status reports, SOW's, RFP's, design and planning documents, etc.
- Possess an understanding of Operational Support Systems (OSS) that supports the FCAPS model.
The following additional knowledge, skills and abilities are considered a plus:
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), or Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) certification, or Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert (CCIE), or equivalent preferred.
- Provides consultative support for product management and sales teams for highly complex customer requirements and product initiatives.
- Develops and architects technical products and solutions based on product and corporate initiatives.
- Researches and investigates new technologies and features that may prove beneficial to existing and future products and solutions.
- Provides support in the development of Intelsat's Evolved Packet Core (EPC), Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), and Cloud initiatives.
- Provides extensive knowledge and experience understanding industry best practices on network architecture and engineering and experience in robust network, product/service and system design and implementation strategies.
- Serves as a central system and networking professional responsible for architecting complex managed services.
- Provides technical leadership and ongoing high-level ongoing engineering and operational support when necessary.
- Develops processes required to ensure high level concepts of operations are understood.
- Assesses and recommends enhancements to existing infrastructure to address current/emerging growth, technology evolution, and industry trends.
- Collaborates with other Intelsat groups for design analysis, planning, and coordination
- Develops documentation including High Level Architectural and Design Documents, and Concept of Operation (CONOPS) documents.
- Provides consultation to other groups including engineering, operations, product, and CSE.
- Accommodate meetings to partner, vendor, and customer locations to support requirements analysis and solutions development efforts.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.